We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Hi all!

I was wondering if it is possible...

No, wait. This is MODx we’re talking about. Okay, let’s start again...

I was wondering how to make it possible to login without going into the Manager AND without showing a Login box of every page.

Since the QuickEdit front end editing function is so cool, I want to use it for my noob clients. I don’t want to let them mess around in the manager. I would like them to give them a "hidden" page only they know the URL of, where they can login and stay in the front end only with QuickEdit.

Maybe I should make a published document not showing up in the menu with the web login snippet in it?

Yes I know: I should try it first at home before posting in this forum... AIA! (Apologies in advance wink)

TIA,

Bee
      • 1,039 Posts
      Maybe I should make a published document not showing up in the menu with the web login snippet in it?

Exactly wink

See: http://www.mademyday.de/ifa/index.php?id=63

It´s exactly like you suggest...
        • 59 Posts
        Quote from: MadeMyDay at Feb 07, 2006, 09:07 PM

Exactly wink

See: http://www.mademyday.de/ifa/index.php?id=63

It´s exactly like you suggest...
        Thanks!! And thank you for the example, that’s exactly what I want to accomplish.
        MODx doesn’t let me down. Again. smiley

Bee
          • 7,075 Posts
          Interresting, guys, I had been thinking about doing the same thing... thanks smiley
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 1,039 Posts
            That´s the magic with this wonderful piece of software: Don´t think about, just make it. In 99% of cases it will simply work wink
              • 2,204 Posts
              But when you are logged in could you not use quick edit to enter the manager, or after login add /manager to the url to get into the manager?
                follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
                • 1,039 Posts
                erm, yes. but as far as I have understood this role management there is no other way to handle this, because web users can´t edit content (or do they). This surely needs some work, I didn´t understand it yet. Why not merge the users? But I think this is in progress as far as I know. But what you can do is prohibit the access to the manager via user setting. I tried this only once and it doesn´t really work well, so I didn´t inviestigate that further.
                  • 680 Posts
                  At this point web-users really can’t edit content with QuickEdit. The main reason is that QuickEdit is a module and webusers can’t use modules. The other reason is the potential security issues.

You can however set an option to hide the manager link in the QuickEdit toolbar. Just set the Show Manager Link parameter to 0. If you’re running a version of MODx that you upgraded to 0.9.1 you may not see that parameter. In that case, just paste the code below into the Module Configuration field in the QuickEdit module.
                  &mod_path=Module Path (from site root);string;assets/modules/quick_edit &show_manager_link=Show Manager Link;int;0 &show_help_link=Show Help Link;int;1 &editable=Editable Fields;string;pagetitle,longtitle,description,content,alias,introtext,menutitle,published,hidemenu,menuindex,searchable,cacheable

I haven’t really looked into the Allow manager login at all it may not allow you to use QuickEdit since it’s a module which is technically part of the manager.
                    • 93 Posts
                    Quote from: BeeStar at Feb 07, 2006, 09:25 PM

Thanks!! And thank you for the example, that’s exactly what I want to accomplish. 
                    MODx doesn’t let me down.  Again. smiley

Bee

Couldn’t you write down a tutorial for people who want to accomplish the same? Because i would like to, but don’t have a clue how to start...