We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 561 Posts
    Hello,
    I need help from smarter people!

I did an upgrade from 9.5 to 9.6. I had a bunch of styles for TinyMCE, and I saved the info from the config.

At first I lost most menu options, but restored them (and got menu items at top of page) by changing my Manager edit profile in Security to Custom. So mostly it’s working.

But now apparently whenever somebody edits a page, the whole page’s text becomes very, very small. It seems like the editor is adding <span style="font-size: x-small"> to all of the text. Using the remove formatting or clean up code icons doesn’t help.

Maybe some of this is because the TinyMCE in 9.5 was 2.0xxx, now it’s 2.1.1.1 or so? I did disable 2.0 in the system - maybe I need to actually delete it completely?

Any ideas appreciated!!!!!
    Thx, Samba
      MODx and Wordpress development
      Linux, PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.0, Evo 1.05, Revo 2.08-pl, Firefox 4
    • If the older version was working for you, disable the newer one.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 561 Posts
        The client ended up sticking with the new version. I never found exactly what happened; essentially it’s a client run amok who is OCD about table size, colors, and so on. Not exactly fun, but may lead to job security. smiley

The only way I found to re-create this problem was to do Select All, click on the CSS icon in the editor (looks like "AA"), and remove whatever font change (in this case "x-small") was in there. Then I tried really thrashing the table, making it wider than the window, making it narrow, inserting rows, on and on, and I could not break it. Remove Formatting seemed to work fine, too, although I’m told that it can effect items outside the table(?).

I’ll chalk it up to "one of those things" for now. And maybe if I’m feeling like enduring more whining, I’ll try FCKeditor, and see what foolishness that will inspire in the client. In sum, this editor is better than I expected!

Here’s a random tip for you: if you put in a table using this editor, you may end up with a big empty space above the table in IE (FF doesn’t mind). I solved that by taking the "width" parm out of the table HTML.

Cheers, Samba
          • 561 Posts
          Hi All,
          No big solution, just some more background information on this, as I’m guessing someone else will have a related problem...

As it happens, it’s IE7 that’s having the trouble with Tiny. I can edit with IE6 or FF until I’m blue in the face, and I simply cannot break it. But my folks using IE7 have intermittent problems that have been diabolically hard to replicate and describe.

Essentially, what happens is that if you edit some content with IE7, you end up with all kinds of SPAN tags around any of your content. These contain sludge that changes font size and font families. Obviously, the first thought is to try Remove Formatting. It did absolutely nothing. Just for laughs, I also tried Clean Up Messy Content (sic) which probably has nothing to do with this, and no joy there either. One can manually edit HTML, but we’re not overly excited about having the newbie editor client do that.

One guess I had was that somehow IE7 borks Javascript activity while the editing is going on, but there I’m out of my league.

Pawing through the mountains of javascript code, there are zillions of bits of code designed to deal with IE, so it won’t be an obvious fix. Uggggh. I am going to experiment with some of the Initialization parms and see what happens.

Maybe I’ll... shudder... try FCKeditor instead. (and probably get a whole NEW host of problems!). rolleyes

For now, the workaround is to just use FF for editing any content.