On March 26, 2019 we launched new MODX Forums. Please join us at the new MODX Community Forums.
Subscribe: RSS
  • I didn’t know if I shall create new topic or not.. but I did a new one, since you may find this info useful. rolleyes

Anyway I just modded TinyMCE media plugin to generate XHTML compatible output. As you may know [tt]<embed>[/tt] tag is W3C deprecated for XHTML therefore if you put any flash into your MODx site via media plugin then the page is not XHTML compliant anymore.

Hi,

Since I’m using TinyMCE within MODx, which is XHTML compatible CMS I found nasty annoying thing which is media plugin and <embed> tag which are not XHTML compatible. Reading lot of stuff how to make flash/etc. objects compatible I’ve made a final solution.

Here are the guidelines I’ve followed:
    http://www.dgx.cz/trine/item/how-to-correctly-insert-a-flash-into-xhtml
    http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay

I’m attaching patch for version 2.0.9 of plugins/media/editor_plugin_src.js

The code is tricky, mostly because IE ! (Using conditional comments) But still it is JS free and XHTML complaint.

I hope you will find this patch useful when making TinyMCE XHTML proof.

I hope TinyMCE authors will find this useful. Since MODx is supposed to be more XHTML compatible I hope you will too. Waiting for your comments...

P.S. You will find mod attached to this post. Expand it into: [tt]assets/plugins/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/media[/tt]

Regards.
    • I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not please advise, still a newbie.

I have updated to Modx 0.9.5 and now using TinyMCE as the document editor in the manager area. This does not seem to load in Internet Explorer 7. It worked fine in Internet Explorer 6 and works well in Firefox 2. Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Ps More information about client pc
      Windows XP pro with SP2
      Internet Explorer 7
      • I’ll compare the changes you’ve made here with what’s in the latest 2.1.0 version and see if it’s still needed. Not sure if it’s even needed since, theoretically, you could block the use of the EMBED tag and achieve a similar result. Guess I’ll need to test that theory and see. laugh
          Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
        • Jeff, any thoughts on this after working with 2.1.0 a bit?
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • Looks like the Media plugin still inserts the blasted EMBED tag...even in the latest 2.1.0 version! Being that we’re all about standardization, I’d like to go ahead and make it a part of the code. However, I don’t know how others feel about that...especially if there are some users who wish to support older browser that absolutely must make use of the EMBED tag. So how should I presume? Just say "Tough!" and throw out the EMBED tag? Whatcha think!? smiley

Jeff
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
            • Make it so, as Carter says: "Pweaz. PWEEEEEEEAAZ!" (He’s 3.5 for those that don’t know tongue)
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • Let’s go for standards!