We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 95 Posts
    I have attempted to figure out, based on the editarea package and the tinyMCE package, how to take a freely available RTE and integrate it with MODx Revolution (and what do I do about extJS?). By themselves, these are all easy to setup and use.MODx 2 plugins are not so simple, especially if, like me, your grasp of PHP is more tenuous than emperor Norton’s grasp of reality. There’s clearly a right way to do this, but I’m failing to catch on. Is there a tutorial, or would someone be willing to write one? Or even just a list with some references? I would like to know the specifics of how to do this more than I would like someone to do it for me.
      • 95 Posts
      Upon further investigation, and a lot of help, it appears that TinyMCE support is more or less hardcoded at the moment and that there is a massive documentation deficit when it comes to RTE -- how, for example, do you automatically mark a document as dirty and update the textarea from the RTE iframe on a regular basis? There’s a tiny.js file with a change method, and this appears to be what the tinyMCE plugin uses, but it isn’t clear how to get from that example to similar functionality with codemirror. I will continue to go slowly mad until I work out a way to have codemirror available in all rich text areas of the manager. Is this even possible, or am I doomed to madness?
        • 24,544 Posts
        I can’t help you, but I sure hope you keep going. wink

I’m sure it’s possible. A lot of us are hoping you succeed. It would be fantastic to have a good code editor inside MODx.

All worthwhile projects involve periods of madness. smiley
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 95 Posts
          It looks like I won’t have to. http://modxcms.com/extras/package/?package=693

I was able to install rc-3 and the codemirror package on my local machine; it is excellent. The only problem, at the moment, is that it doesn’t register as an RTE, which was my goal. Probably more people want to use it just for editing elements than for elements, content, and rich-text TVs, but I can’t be the only one who wants to do the latter two. Maybe it will happen in a later version? This seems like a very promising development.