We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Hello,

I need to give my client a way of:

• uploading and inserting images
    • embedding videos from YouTube etc. (so an HTML view option in which to paste the videos sites markup)

The last CMS I tried out for this project messed with the video embedding markup so I couldn’t use it (TinyMCE, but the implementation wouldn’t allow me to stop it cleaning up).

What would you recommend I use if I go with MODx that will leave the video embedding markup alone?

Thanks.
      • 372 Posts
      I prefer to use TV’s for both images and videos. I don’t like giving the client a choice on where to put the images.

Is it possible with your layout to use div’s to position the media where you want?
        DropboxUploader -- Upload files to a Dropbox account.
        DIG -- Dynamic Image Generator
        gus -- Google URL Shortener
        makeQR -- Uses google chart api to make QR codes.
        MODxTweeter -- Update your twitter status on publish.
        • 59 Posts
        Thanks for the reply.

No, it’s not possible to do that. I want the client to be able to be responsible for image(s) and video(s) placements.
          • 59 Posts
          I’ve just tried it out at opensourcemods and it seems to allow for those two requirements via HTML view and a file uploader, so I shall likely go ahead. smiley

This will be my second MODx site.
            • 956 Posts
            There’s several "embed SWF" / youtube snippets in the repository. At least one of those is using swfobject.

re: tinyMCE doing auto-cleanup of your code: You can override this setting. Go to:
            Resources > manage resources > plugins > tinyMCE > configuration
            Cleanup: disabled

• 561 Posts
              Hi,
              I just made a page and put in some content. Then I switched to Source view, and tossed in some embed html code from a Youtube video, saved it, and voila, page works great. I was using Wysiwyg Pro.

You could probably do the same thing with Tiny with HTML view. But I wanted to put in a plug for Wysiwyg Pro because IMHO, it’s an excellent editor. Yes, you do have to pay for it, $54 from the time of this writing for a single license.

I know, you’re already yelling. wink But hear me out just for a second. They have a MODx plug-in, and even though the plugin is Beta, I’ve found the program much easier to use, more stable and predictable in behavior, and easier to customize with stylesheets, buttons, customizable ways to enter code snippets, etc., than either Tiny or FCK. And all this even though they don’t have parms available from the Manager yet (they’re working on that). They also have pretty good API documentation on their site.

I do think that Tiny and FCK are great in most ways. But if you’ve spent as much time swearing at configuration problems, things that work great in Firefox but not IE, file upload miseries, and a litany of other stuff, you may want to consider trying it. I’ve benefited from their support too. Lack of swearing and motivated support are worth a few dollars to me. And actually, I simply pass along the cost of the software to the client, so it’s all good.

I did find that Wysiwyg Pro does not support Safari. [actually, not true, see below] And that does matter to some folks. But won’t for the vast majority of site owners. So far I’ve installed this on about ten sites (got a group discount), and the clients are reacting very favorably to it.

The only drawback I’ve found so far is that they don’t have an install script. But that actually describes a huge majority of our great snippets here, and people can handle those. And they’ll probably have that pretty soon, anyway, as well as more control from the Manager interface.

Good luck, whatever method you choose.
                MODx and Wordpress development
                Linux, PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.0, Evo 1.05, Revo 2.08-pl, Firefox 4
              • Why not use your favorite text editor? After all, it’s all text!
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 561 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Jun 20, 2008, 06:11 AM

Why not use your favorite text editor? After all, it’s all text!
                  Susan,
                  Very clever! I’ll have to have a look at that. smiley

And contrary to what I thought, the Wysiwyg Pro guy just informed me that they actually did build in Safari support, but it’s turned off by default. He says that because Apple’s Safari documentation is not complete (no surprise there), they don’t feel they can officially support it, a pretty reasonable view.

So you can set a parm and edit in Safari. I just tried it, and it does work. I didn’t do anything fancy, just made a page with some formatting and links, so I can’t guarantee that every little thing will work for our Apple friends. But that’s a whole lot better than no Safari support, IMO.
                    MODx and Wordpress development
                    Linux, PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.0, Evo 1.05, Revo 2.08-pl, Firefox 4
                    • 964 Posts
                    Try "Its all text"... it has to be close to the #1 add-on for firefox.
                    No more talk about embedded editors, about including files,
                    about dbs for the files,... just choose your editor and well, edit away...
                    I think you can even manage some type of version control using it...
                    really fantastic!

Susan: does it work with FF3?
                      MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
                    • Yup, used it to write this wink

A bit tricky on OS X, but since I have my preferred editor set as the system default editor, I’m good.
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org