On March 26, 2019 we launched new MODX Forums. Please join us at the new MODX Community Forums.
Subscribe: RSS
  • Hi All,

has anyone out there succefully integrated any commercial editors into Modx? Tiny and Fck are just way too frustrating and have usability bugs. Here are two editors i found which seem to work excellent and are reasonably priced.

http://phphtmledit.com/index.php

http://www.wysiwygpro.com/

If there is anythign else out there that has been integrated i’d be very interested in knowing.

Thanks,
    Crawford.

Crawford Paul

Bridgecourt Web Design - Proudly using ModX CMS
      Serving Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada and the world!
      http://www.bridgecourt.com
    • Not exactly sure what you need, but Dreamweaver is popular, and you can download the modx extensions. Of course this would be external to modx, but it is a WYSIWYG.
      • Both look nice. One of them was cool looking but very slow. I am not sure what it takes to integrate an editor. They are plug-ins, so I would look at the code in the tiny plug-in, then you will need to code in the modx path variables.

There are a few in the modx resource repository.

My guess is that any editor could be integrated.
          [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
          Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
        • WysiwygPro has a plugin for MODx http://www.wysiwygpro.com/index.php?id=420
          • IMO, no can do for either of them due to lack of support for Safari. Cute Editor has very limited support for Safari and WysiwygPro has zero support for Safari. I welcome anyone who is willing to create additional plugins to support these but I personally try to avoid supporting commercial software. The reason is that it’s very difficult to distribute a plugin based on a commercial product without including some of their code within the plugin itself...which is usually forbidden under most commercial licenses.

Both TinyMCE and FCKEditor are highly cross-browser, cross-platform compatible. Yes, both have their quirks, but they do the job if configured properly. I try to keep things as simple as possible. If users are trying to do some fairly complex HTML code inside of one of the editors, I try to find ways to simplify it by creating a template and driving the content via a snippet or the like.
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
            • how easy/difficult is it to exchange the current default image/media-browser in MODx for the commercial TinyMCE one? Our customers prefer that one..

Olaf
              • Quote from: olafmol at Mar 17, 2008, 01:42 PM

how easy/difficult is it to exchange the current default image/media-browser in MODx for the commercial TinyMCE one? Our customers prefer that one..

Olaf

Not terribly difficult. In fact, I’ll see if I can put in a custom parameter that will allow you to override the default file browser call. I think that’s all you really need to make it work. I don’t have access to the TinyMCE commercial plugins...but I can at least see what is required to integrate it into TinyMCE itself. smiley
                  Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • Quote from: olafmol at Mar 17, 2008, 01:42 PM

how easy/difficult is it to exchange the current default image/media-browser in MODx for the commercial TinyMCE one? Our customers prefer that one..

Olaf
                  hey Olaf, I did this myself, for both the image and file manager, it is not difficult at all. But I must comment, I am still working on the site, my main objective initially was to integrate this manager funcionality in the front end. I just checked now and as I guessed, the backend itself has not the right permission settings there for users to upload to a given folder, so there are some parameters I am missing which I need to configure, but I am not up to that point yet. If I figure it out I’ll be happy to post that here unless someone does it first.

But I don’t think it would be that difficult knowing the open architecture environment modx offers.

Jose R. Lopez
                  • Will there has integration for xStandards when v0.97 comes out? I really like this one as it has the best semantic markup support, and willing to purchase a pro-license, but it doesn’t seek working for Modx at all. Last time I verified with the developer, he mentioned something about incompatibility.