We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 107 Posts
    Hi All,

has anyone out there succefully integrated any commercial editors into Modx? Tiny and Fck are just way too frustrating and have usability bugs. Here are two editors i found which seem to work excellent and are reasonably priced.

http://phphtmledit.com/index.php

http://www.wysiwygpro.com/

If there is anythign else out there that has been integrated i’d be very interested in knowing.

Thanks,
    Crawford.

Crawford Paul

Bridgecourt Web Design - Proudly using ModX CMS
      Serving Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada and the world!
      http://www.bridgecourt.com
      • 412 Posts
      Not exactly sure what you need, but Dreamweaver is popular, and you can download the modx extensions. Of course this would be external to modx, but it is a WYSIWYG.
        • 4,205 Posts
        Both look nice. One of them was cool looking but very slow. I am not sure what it takes to integrate an editor. They are plug-ins, so I would look at the code in the tiny plug-in, then you will need to code in the modx path variables.

There are a few in the modx resource repository.

My guess is that any editor could be integrated.
          [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
          Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
          • 5 Posts
          WysiwygPro has a plugin for MODx http://www.wysiwygpro.com/index.php?id=420
            • 1,131 Posts
            IMO, no can do for either of them due to lack of support for Safari. Cute Editor has very limited support for Safari and WysiwygPro has zero support for Safari. I welcome anyone who is willing to create additional plugins to support these but I personally try to avoid supporting commercial software. The reason is that it’s very difficult to distribute a plugin based on a commercial product without including some of their code within the plugin itself...which is usually forbidden under most commercial licenses.

Both TinyMCE and FCKEditor are highly cross-browser, cross-platform compatible. Yes, both have their quirks, but they do the job if configured properly. I try to keep things as simple as possible. If users are trying to do some fairly complex HTML code inside of one of the editors, I try to find ways to simplify it by creating a template and driving the content via a snippet or the like.
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
              • 218 Posts
              how easy/difficult is it to exchange the current default image/media-browser in MODx for the commercial TinyMCE one? Our customers prefer that one..

Olaf
                • 1,131 Posts
                Quote from: olafmol at Mar 17, 2008, 01:42 PM

how easy/difficult is it to exchange the current default image/media-browser in MODx for the commercial TinyMCE one? Our customers prefer that one..

Olaf

Not terribly difficult. In fact, I’ll see if I can put in a custom parameter that will allow you to override the default file browser call. I think that’s all you really need to make it work. I don’t have access to the TinyMCE commercial plugins...but I can at least see what is required to integrate it into TinyMCE itself. smiley
                  Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • Quote from: olafmol at Mar 17, 2008, 01:42 PM

Olaf
                  hey Olaf, I did this myself, for both the image and file manager, it is not difficult at all. But I must comment, I am still working on the site, my main objective initially was to integrate this manager funcionality in the front end. I just checked now and as I guessed, the backend itself has not the right permission settings there for users to upload to a given folder, so there are some parameters I am missing which I need to configure, but I am not up to that point yet. If I figure it out I’ll be happy to post that here unless someone does it first.

But I don’t think it would be that difficult knowing the open architecture environment modx offers.

Jose R. Lopez
                    • 332 Posts
                    Will there has integration for xStandards when v0.97 comes out? I really like this one as it has the best semantic markup support, and willing to purchase a pro-license, but it doesn’t seek working for Modx at all. Last time I verified with the developer, he mentioned something about incompatibility.