We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Tried to find any thread referring to this, but found nothing thus here I am...

Is there any work in progress to get MCFileManager and/or MCImageManager integrated into MODx ?
    If not, what is the estimated workload to integrate MCFileManager and/or MCImageManager with MODx ?

I know those are commercial addons, but they are nice but mcpuk is not my favorite item and we definitely lack a decent image manager... pending mmjaeger intitiative to integrate iManager/iBrowser, I might just cough the bucks for MCFileManager and/or MCImageManager in the near future.

If I can I’ll fund the integration too, alone or with fellow MODxers who would like to get this done...
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
    • I don’t think anyone’s looked at it. I agree that the MCPuck manager is TOO restrictive (and bloated). I’d personally like to see far fewer sub-directories under assets.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,131 Posts
        If we ever get to a point to where the file manager is a plugin then we could definitely consider MCFileManager or the like. The idea would be to have some events that are similar to what we have with the richtext editor plugins. That way you can just create a plugin for the MCFileManager and feed it what you need.

Till then though...we can’t integrate the MCFileManager or MCImageManager due to restrictions that don’t allow us to redistribute their code. The contents of the plugin would have to be just the framework for it with a directory where you drop in the files for the MoxieCode plugins. It’s just not conceivable right now ("Inconcievable!!")

Jeff
          Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
          • 7,075 Posts
          Ok Jeff that’s good to know... would mean the best bet for improvement on this front is iBrowser / iManager integration then...

MODx est l'outil id
            • 1,131 Posts
            We’ll be starting work on a more viable replacement for the file browser soon. It’ll be something similar to the iBrowser or the like. Probably will take some time but I’m hoping we can do it as a plugin to allow for further development. smiley

Jeff
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
              • 7,075 Posts
              Alright great news Jeff grin

Did you give a look at the work mmjaeger has started ?
              http://net4visions.com/labs/ibNew/source/iBLayout.htm

Interresting proof of concept...

MODx est l'outil id
                • 1,131 Posts
                Yeah, I’ve looked at some of mmjaeger’s stuff. Interesting to say the least...but I’m not sure if it’s a good fit just yet. I think mostly what we need is a very dumbed down easy to use way of managing files and images. I would very much like for it to be a plugin and would very much like for it to have capabilities for basic permission sets for manager users and web users. Only way to do that is to build it specifically for MODx from the ground up. smiley

Jeff
                  Jeff Whitfield

• 7,075 Posts
                  I most definitely agree that a bundled plugin should not be too cluttered with features. It sure would be better to have it made into a plugin and not directly integrated to core files, sure is atuned with MODx philospophy to keep the core light and let users choose which plugin they need to manage files and/or images.

A plugin built from the ground up for MODx sure would be the way to go for a plugin distributed with MODx smiley

MODx est l'outil id
                    • 616 Posts
                    another approach for a kind of ibrowser light version - just a plugin for tinymce: http://net4visions.com/labs/ib.light/ib.light.html

it’s just a start - not really working yet.

this could be a start for an extended version with file manager and image edit/management (http://net4visions.com/labs/ib.ext/source/iBExt.html)