We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Hi all,

I’m in the middle of converting a Joomla site to a MODx site.

What is the best place in the directory structure on the server to store my template and it’s images?

I can see a template directory, holding only the default template. My own template seems to be stored in the database. So what is the most "logical" place to store the images needed by the template?

In Joomla you have a directory holding your template, it’s CSS file and all the template’s images. This is kind of "elegant", because you store the images needed by the content in a different place.

I am wondering what the MODx way of doing this is.

TIA,

Bee
    • assets/templates/TemplateName

with a subfolder for template-specific images, another for template-specific javascript, another for stylesheets. (you can also use a document as the stylesheet if you like) Since I make my templates available here, I also have an "install" folder with instructions and any specific snippets/chunks/tvs, as well as the text file for the template.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 59 Posts
        assets/templates/TemplateName

with a subfolder for template-specific images, another for template-specific javascript, another for stylesheets.

Thank you, Susan.

This seems like the logical thing to do. wink

However, how do I access the template from within the Manager? When I put a template directory in the templates directory, I don’t manage to choose that template?

TIA,

Bee
        • Quote from: BeeStar at Jan 26, 2006, 03:44 PM

However, how do I access the template from within the Manager? When I put a template directory in the templates directory, I don’t manage to choose that template?

There is no auto-detection of templates at this point. You’ll still have to create a new Template in the manager and paste your HTML template into it, referencing your resources in your specific assets/template/TemplateName/ directory.
            • 59 Posts
            There is no auto-detection of templates at this point. You’ll still have to create a new Template in the manager and paste your HTML template into it, referencing your resources in your specific assets/template/TemplateName/ directory.

Ah, I see. Ok, no problem.

Auto-detection, or upload possibility of a complete template like Joomla would be nice in the future. This would make it also very simple to give templates to each other. I thought I saw something like this in the feature list of future MODx versions. Very interesting times indeed... smiley

Thanks for all the support!

Bee
              • 42 Posts
              I’m currently porting my site from Joomla to MODx and I totally agree with you. I’m looking forward to see a better templating system. Instead of copy/paste your code each time from your editor, should recognize the template files in the templates folder.
                [b]Benoit Deziel[b]
                • 1 Posts
                Going from Joomla or Mambo to MODx will be a culture shock in term of template or resource installation in general. There is no installer for resources at all at this point in time.

Everything is cut and paste in MODx currently.

One other thing is you need to get to know MODx tag instead of postion loading from module in the template like Joomla and Mambo