We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24 Posts
    Hello everyone,

I’m new to Modx, and I wanted to see what is the best multi-language solution for it.
    I have installed YAMS exactly as it says in the help file, twice, but I must be doing something wrong because the language tabs under the resources are empty:

Another issue that I think is derived from the first one is that when I change the language on the test site, the URL changes from http://localhost/modx/about.html to http://localhost/modx/fr/about.html, which is good, but it shows the Home content instead of the About page content.

What can I do to make it work?
    Thank you!
      • 433 Posts
      Hi capcaunu,
      Have you set your templates to multilingual? You have to do this every time you make a template, because by default it is not multilingual. (Modules > YAMS > Tab Multilingual Templates)
        • 24 Posts
        hi michelle, thank you for your reply.

I have tried setting multilingual to YES, but still nothing under the tabs.
          • 133 Posts
          Hmm, looks like there are no template variables?!, maybe u did something wrong when making the languages in the YAMS module.

Do you have TV’s like [*content_en*] [*content_de*] [*content_fr*] ?
            Best CMS eva!
            • 133 Posts
            Okee, i may have a solution for this.

Set the template(s) on Multilanguage No, and back again to Yes.

I had the same thing for 1 language and works now.
            If not i can zip my yams folder for u, check also if config file in yams is set to 755 or 777.
            Not sure if its a must. Then pm me.
              Best CMS eva!
              • 805 Posts
              I agree that it would be good to establish whether the multilingual template variables, content_en, content_... have actually been created or not. (Check at Elements>Manage Elements>Template Variables.) It could be that the TVs have been created but that they are not being tabified properly and so are being listed at the bottom of the general tab. This could result from some version conflict or a ManagerManager misconfiguration.

capcaunu, please could you tell us which version of MODx (top right of screen), ManagerManager (Elements>Manage Elements>Plugins>ManagerManager) and YAMS (Modules>YAMS>Documentation>About>Version) you are using?
                YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
                YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
                Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
                • 24 Posts
                Hi guys, thank you for your replies. I have discovered I was too fast to post to the forums. The tabs are indeed empty, but I can find the multilingual content lower down the page and enter the data I want for every language.

fourroses, thank you for your help. I have not created any language whatsoever, I just tried using the default ones that came with YAMS. An I have set it to yes, then no, then back to yes maybe 10 times before posting smiley And I run it on wamp, so no permission issues.

PMS, the template variables are being created when I activate the template as multilingual.

Versions:
                modx is 1.0.2
                <strong>0.3.6</strong> Customize the MODx Manager to offer bespoke admin functions for end users - this is where the version is?
                YAMS - Version: 1.0.5 beta for testing.

Another thing, when trying to change Other Parameters under YAMS I get:
                Warning: fopen(C:\wamp\www\modx\assets\modules\yams\class/../yams.config.inc.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Invalid argument in C:\wamp\www\modx\assets\modules\yams\class\yams.class.inc.php on line 1158

Warning: fopen(C:\wamp\www\modx\assets\modules\yams\class/../yams.config.inc.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Invalid argument in C:\wamp\www\modx\assets\modules\yams\class\yams.class.inc.php on line 1158

Now that I have discovered the multilingual content lower on the resources’ page I do not really care that the tabs don’t work.

Thank you for your help, and let me know if I can help back by posting more info on the subject.

Cheers!
                  • 805 Posts
                  Please try upgrading to YAMS 1.1.7 alpha RC7. This should fix the ManagerManager incompatibility problem that’s leading to the broken layout. It may also fix your Other Params problem.
                    Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
                    • 24 Posts
                    Hi PMS, thanks it worked out great. I thought the latest version is 1.0.5 because that’s what I see listed under Extras. Anyway, it works like a charm. Thank you and best of luck with YAMS!

Cristian
                      • 805 Posts
                      YAMS 1.0.5 beta, the current latest version available from the MODx repository, is only compatible with versions of MODx up to Evo 1.0.

YAMS 1.1.7 alpha RC7 was only ever supposed to be a release candidate... When I make major changes (like the implementation of multilingual aliases) I prefer to publicise a release candidate that the community can test. Then, once it has become stable I submit it to the MODx repository. Although some bugs have now been found in YAMS 1.1.7 alpha RC7, it is still by far the best and most stable version, and it is compatible with the latest version of Evo and ManagerManager.

For those reasons and since the absence of YAMS 1.1.7 alpha RC7 from the MODx repository has confused so many people (yourself included) I have taken the decision to submit it to the MODx repository. I did this yesterday. I hope to follow this up with a new version that fixes the known bugs in the near future.