We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 241 Posts
    So after a stormy development cycle www.panguhotel.com has gone live. It makes extensive use of YAMS to provide support for english, simplified chinese, and traditional chinese.

This was our first multi-lingual site with YAMS and we have learned a lot. Especially the need to allocate much more time for content hydration and tweaking. In the end it took us twice as long to setup all the content as we were planning.
    But without YAMS this would have been much, much, much more difficult indeed.

Another technique that we found useful was to create a "Pallette" template in order to store translated content needed globally throughout the site. YAMS made it very easy to pull it into wherever translations were needed. YAMS also provides syntax to pull any TV from anywhere even if it is not multi-lingual. It is a very effective and much more robust replacement for GetField.

And since YAMS can be completely transparent to the user it’s a great way to upsell clients on multiple languages at any point in the project without incurring much cost. We have added YAMS to our skeleton project, which serves as the starting point for all our client sites. At any point the client can decide to go multi-lingual and we can look like web superheroes and deliver the addition very quickly.

YAMS is an excellent addition to the MODx toolbox. It makes quick work of even most convoluted client’s requirements and does so with minimal code. Paul, please accept our most enthusiastic endorsement of and thanks for all your hard work.
    We’ll be happy to help out in any way we can.

Kiril Okun
    Arctos Group

• 24,544 Posts
      Very interesting. Thanks for the report. smiley
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 964 Posts
        Do you happen to have a guide or manual of your experience?
        I will be starting a multi-lingual site quite soon and would
        be wonderful to have a place where we can read of others
        experiences and then add ours...
          MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
          • 241 Posts
          A project report wiki is a very good idea.
          I’ll try to write up something more detailed.
          I wonder if we can use MODx wiki for that.

In the meantime we’re onto the next project with YAMS.
          • I’d be happy to have a YAMS section on the official confluence wiki. Just need to get the folks set up as contributors. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 241 Posts
              Thanks Ryan,

I’d like to contribute.
              Please let me know what you need to set it up.
              • Contributing to MODx is pretty easy really: http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4751488
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 805 Posts
                  outre99. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with YAMS.

Ryan et al. I think that having a section for YAMS on the confluence wiki would be an excellent idea. It would be a good place to document the answers to frequently asked ’How do I...’ questions and peoples tricks and tips too. In fact, I have a tab in the YAMS module interface with some How To? info, but the wiki might be a better place for it because then other people could contribute to it too.

I’ll fill out and submit the contributor license agreement so I can contribute to the wiki.
                    YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
                    YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
                    Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.