We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 741 Posts
    I have running YAMS 1.0.5 beta on a site and it is quite slow. Could it be that a newer version of YAMS will solve this?

If so; Is it safe to update YAMS?
      with regards,

Ronald Lokers
      'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• 245 Posts
      First, you probably should cache all ditto and wayfinder calls that can be cached, and see if that helps.

Second, in my experience from the .05 beta on the code was already quite optimized, and my speed problems then on ended up being entirely server related.

Do monolingual templates have the same speed issues? How about a static page on the server?

I am sure PMS will answer more knowledgeably, but these are just some suggestions from my (extended) troubleshooting experience.

• 805 Posts
        Sorry for taking such a long time to get back to you about this.

Yes. Updating might make your pages load more quickly. Quite a few efficiency improvements were made between version 1.0.5 and the latest beta (1.1.7 RC7), in particular for sites with lots of ditto and Wayfinder output. These improvements mainly reduce the number of mysql calls required.

As far as I can tell there should be no problem updating your YAMS installation. If you follow the upgrade instructions in the readme.txt in the YAMS distribution then you can simply rename a couple of directories to roll back to your old YAMS installation. If you encounter any problems after updating then it’s possible that your .htaccess file might need updating with the updated code supplied on the ’Server Config’ tab of the YAMS module.
          YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
          YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
          Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
          • 741 Posts
          I just did update the site and it is quite a bit faster! First it had 1025 requests to the database, now the same page has only 112 requests.
            with regards,

Ronald Lokers
            'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media