We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    hi, my name is burn! (comes from bernhard)
    i just registered, i searched a lot but only ever found what i found to be too sophisticated...
    am i the only one being convinced that PMS’s YAMS is what you need for a multilingual site but cannot get it to work at all?

my first stumbling block (readme.txt in the zip):
    3. Within MODx under Resources>Plugins create a new plugin:

Plugin name: YAMS
    Description: <strong>1.0.2 alpha</strong> Yet Another Multilingual Solution Plugin
    Plugin code:
    require( $modx->config[’base_path’] . ’assets/modules/yams/yams.plugin.inc.php’);
    System Events:
    - OnParseDocument
    - OnWebPagePrerender
    - OnDocFormSave (Only required if you have selected the option to synchronise
    the main document pagetitle with the default language pagetitle for
    mulitlingual documents)
    what does red mean?

step 2 of the setup tab is the next one:
    Decide on URL format
    Server Name mode and Root Name mode
    how and where do i get it done?

to be honest, that’s not all, there’s more that i don’t grasp... i know, i sound a bit foolish, please don’t get me wrong, the documentation of YAMS is very good!
    it’s just not comprehensible for non-developers like me.

but i want to use YAMS, it must be good, after all i read about it smiley
    if someone is willing to take, erm, my hand and lead me through, i’ll jump hiiiigh and praise the day!
    no really, i’d appreciate it heaps.

i’m good at translating, i could do the german part, well, that’s what i can offer.

finally, may i ask to excuse my opening a new thread, i didn’t know where to "start" otherwise.

best and with anticipation, burn
      • 964 Posts
      can only help you with your first issue...
      I have not tried YAMs, but I have been following its development
      because I think it is THE way to go for multilingual websites...

The red means that if you want to have the same page title for
      all your languages, then click the OnDocFormSave event, if
      you want to have a different page title for each (I assume so,
      as it will be in another languge), then do not click on the event...

Somebody will help you with your other questions soon,
      welcome, this is a great community!!
        MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
        • 6 Posts
        thank you, charliez!
        "Only required if you have selected the option..." did confuse/mislead me as i hadn’t (yet) selected an option.
        maybe it should read "Only required if you choose to select the option..." to make it clear. anyway, got that now, and it does make sense (to not select it).

step 2 of the setup tab: Decide on URL format
        Before you start configuring you need to decide how you will identify the different languages groups in the URL. There are two modes that can be used simultaneously or independently: Server Name mode and Root Name mode. Whatever combination of modes you choose, the full URL
        http://(server_name)/(root_name)/
        must be unique for each language and you will need to configure your server settings appropriately.

When server name mode is OFF the server name is determined in the normal way MODx determines it and so is consistent with MODx [(site_url)]. Server name mode is switched ON by specifying a different server name for each language group and a server name for monolingual/ordinary pages. To use server name mode, you will need to be able to configure the various server names as aliases or virtual hosts on your server.

To enable root name mode, you just need to specify at least one root name on the Language Settings tab. If server name mode is OFF then you will need to specify one per language group.
        how and where would i have to set this (= Server Name mode and/or Root Name) up?

again, any help is appreciated, i’m almost sure this will enlighten/delight not only me, and, if i humbly may say so, wouldn’t it be nice to enable more users to benefit from YAMS as it is, to reuse charliez’ words, THE way to go for multilingual websites...

thanks to the community, burn
          • 6 Posts
          c’mon people, give me a hand...

i’ve neglected step 2 due to the fact that it says "root name mode is currently ON" in the language settings, hoping that’s good enough to proceed.

step 3 (Configure Language Settings) also seems to be fine, i want to have english as default and german as 2nd language, no monolingual pages, i edited yams.config.inc.php and changed it accordingly, see:

i updated htaccess, it now reflects the folders en and de.
          the TV’s for both languages are there (and assigned to the template).

but now i’m really stuck... as i don’t know how to implement step 5 (Update URLs) the frontend gives me a 404 since it consequently doesn’t find e.g http://localhost/de/modx/features.html -- what gives, any ideas?

i assume i’m still not close to solving the whole issue (= making YAMS work) but i’m farther away from my starting point two days ago grin

this is what i’d like to see soon:
          http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/473/yamsmultilingualdocumen.png

help! smiley

BTW, in my YAMS - Module - System Events it shows an error: "Undefined variable: isAltRow", googled for it, no info on that.
          it’s not a showstopper, is it?!

thx in advance, burn
            • 964 Posts
            Try finding the YAMS thread and ask for help there, maybe the few users
            of YAMs are not seeing your thread...
              MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
              • 805 Posts
              burn

I have replied to your questions on the main YAMS support thread.

PMS
                YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
                YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
                Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
                • 7 Posts
                Quote from: burn at Jul 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
                i just registered, i searched a lot but only ever found what i found to be too sophisticated...
                am i the only one being convinced that PMS's YAMS is what you need for a multilingual site but cannot get it to work at all?

Hello, nobody had the idea to post a video tutorial on how to set up the YAMS module....?
                A whole day trying on...
                  French MdxEvolution user.