We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Is there somewhere a manual for creating templates. I know about a manual (and macromedia plugin) for mambo templates but cann’t find manual for MODx templates. undecided :’(

Musicscore
      • 283 Posts
      To be honest,

I dont see designing with MODX to be building templates ... you just design a standard HTML page then put the template variables or MODX tags where you want em .. paste it into the template manager .. JOB DONE!

it is BY FAR the easiest system out there to design for .. it rocks ...

perhaps there could be some definative list of MODX tags and there modifiers, or maybe there is .. and i just havnt seen it?

Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
        R.G Taylor
        • 1,732 Posts
          xWisdom
          www.xwisdomhtml.com
          The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
          MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
          • 3,975 Posts
          Hi musicscore smiley

Welcome to MODx.

Our present documentation covers almost all basic to intermediate aspects of MODx, so i would recomend you to read the documentation thoroughly before posting for help. smiley

best regards,

zi
            Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
            • 15 Posts
            Quote from: Lizard at Jan 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

To be honest,

I dont see designing with MODX to be building templates ... you just design a standard HTML page then put the template variables or MODX tags where you want em .. paste it into the template manager .. JOB DONE!

it is BY FAR the easiest system out there to design for .. it rocks ...

perhaps there could be some definative list of MODX tags and there modifiers, or maybe there is .. and i just havnt seen it?

Hi,

i was a very happy LDU user and its templateing system was pretty straight forward to me. I was never confused and i really liked it. There are other things i miss at LDU, so i’ll try MODx instead, which i think is much better, but for now i am more confused than i was with LDU.

So, what i want to say is, that other systems, too, have great template systems, not just MODx, but they miss other things which MODx gives you power with.

my english sux? Yes grin
            • Your English is fine smiley ... but what is LDU???
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 7,075 Posts
                LDU is nice, yeah (though it’s not opensource :’ )

It uses a template engine, called Xtemplate

Many CMS use such engines : Smarty, PHP Template... Personnally I don’t like them and I like MODx or Textpattern’s macro language better (it’s based on tags, and integrates seamlessly in your templates). It’s way more flexible...

But that’s just my personnal opinion...
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 15 Posts
                  Yeah, it is really just a matter of personal likings/dislikings...
                  Well, i am probably confused, here in MODx, cause i am useing it for a week or so, and i have a lot of things to grasp yet...

The most irritating thing at LDU, for me, is User system which is based on levels.
                  So, you can’t use it much on serious CMSs ( for intranet, extranet end such ), as users on level 2 ( example ) are allways "better" than those on level 1....so you can’t provide a customer related pages.

If you have 10 customers and you want a different page for each of them ( in a matter that others can’t access this page ), you simply can’t use LDU. I hate that grin

Otherwise i like it and it is quite a decent CMS IMHO.

Anyways, i bet MODx does it better grin and thats why i’ll try to work with it from now on.
                    • 1,495 Posts
                    It might take some learning curve in using MODx to a greater extend. But all you need is just taking your time learning it. There are several MODx specific syntax that you need to jot down while working with MODx, but overall, the template engine that MODx inherit is flexible and easy enough for you to get started in less than an hour.

I guess this is the best that I can do with "Tips on Creating MODx Template".

1. Make sure that you’ve MODx installed correctly, and you’re able to log into the manager just fine, by visiting http://www.yourmodxinstalladomain.com/manager.
                    2. After logged in, click on the "Manage Resources" under "Resources" menu tab or menu parent manager main menu.
                    3. Choose "Template" Tab, and browse the default template (Minimal Tenplate), and take all the weird word that usually being put in the bracket, such as [*#content*], {~1~], and etc. Don’t forget to jot them down in your notepad.
                    4. Create a new template, and start putting all basic html template that you want, and paste all the weird word that you joted down in the previous step on the main body.
                    5. Assign your first page to this new template by clicking on thedocument title located on the left panel tree, and after that click on edit button located on the top left of your right panel. Change the template selection box into your newly created template.
                    6. Open a new browser and browse to the page from your domain installation.
                    7. Get back to the manager, and organize all the weird word that you just put in your main content are to be placed on certain are athat you want on your template.

Hope it helps you get started in experiencing MODx.

The walkthrough is pretty straight forward, and the templating system is totally simple and straightforward. You don’t have to understand how the template will loop and etc, like when you use smarty template engine or other engine. All the weird word in that template is being replaced by a chunk of text specific to that page. All you need to do is understand whether this weird word will be replaced by what. That’s all.

Have fun!

Sincerely,
                      Wendy Novianto
                      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media