We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    A friend is asking me about ManagerManager...

Looking for a simple explanation that guides you (EVO 1.0.3) to making this plugin work. Are there any posts, sites, demos, videos, that explains how this works in the most simplistic (do this, do that, do this, and viola its working!) language???

Thanks!
      • 701 Posts
      Quote from: Photowebmax at Jun 05, 2010, 05:05 PM

A friend is asking me about ManagerManager...

Looking for a simple explanation that guides you (EVO 1.0.3) to making this plugin work. Are there any posts, sites, demos, videos, that explains how this works in the most simplistic (do this, do that, do this, and viola its working!) language???

Thanks!

Have you looked that the documentation that within the plugin itself

/assets/plugin/managermanager/doc/index.htm
        • 1,161 Posts
        We have (briefly...)

There is the ManagerManager plugin version 0.3.8 and a chunk called mm_demo_rules that came with the archive install. It all seems there already.

Now say a user wants to get his feet wet and try two different things using ManagerManager:

a) Remove the Long Title field from the Edit Resource panel

b) Add a h3 Headline to a template sidebar column

I have added a TV to achieve the H3 Headline to the sidebar and this always works great. The TV appears below the TinyMCE window as usual.

So, what’s the next step? Do you edit the mm_demo_rules chunk? If so, how? Or do you create a fresh chunk? Do the rules need to be wrapped in any specific code or not? Or do you add something to the plugin itself? The first paragraph of the "Getting Started" section of the docs is vague about what you actually do and where you actually do it?

Will ManagerManager improve the editing experience for the sidebar H3 TV somehow? Does it make it more visual or intuitive for a site owner?

I have googled ManagerManager and read a bunch of posts here and there but I have yet to find a well written intro on what it does and how to get it working...

Update: after fiddling around I think I have the beginning of something working. I created a fresh chunk with mm_hideFields(’longtitle’); // Hide the Long Title field for all users as it contents and then updated the Chunk Configuration option the ManagerManager plugin Configuration pane. This does hide the Long Title for end user Manager sessions.

• 701 Posts
          Quote from: Photowebmax at Jun 05, 2010, 05:54 PM

We have (briefly...)

There is the ManagerManager plugin version 0.3.8 and a chunk called mm_demo_rules that came with the archive install. It all seems there already.

Now say a user wants to get his feet wet and try two different things using ManagerManager:

a) Remove the Long Title field from the Edit Resource panel

b) Add a h3 Headline to a template sidebar column

I have added a TV to achieve the H3 Headline to the sidebar and this always works great. The TV appears below the TinyMCE window as usual.

So, what’s the next step? Do you edit the mm_demo_rules chunk? If so, how? Or do you create a fresh chunk? Do the rules need to be wrapped in any specific code or not? Or do you add something to the plugin itself? The first paragraph of the "Getting Started" section of the docs is vague about what you actually do and where you actually do it?

Will ManagerManager improve the editing experience for the sidebar H3 TV somehow? Does it make it more visual or intuitive for a site owner?

I have googled ManagerManager and read a bunch of posts here and there but I have yet to find a well written intro on what it does and how to get it working...

Update: after fiddling around I think I have the beginning of something working. I created a fresh chunk with mm_hideFields(’longtitle’); // Hide the Long Title field for all users as it contents and then updated the Chunk Configuration option the ManagerManager plugin Configuration pane. This does hide the Long Title for end user Manager sessions.

By default MM uses the Chunk, yeah I’d use a blank chunk but have look at the examples first before deleting. Each rules goes on a new line ended with a ; So in a chunk if you just have:

mm_renameField('pagetitle', 'Document title');
          mm_hideField('longtitle');
          [/code

You'll change the pagetitle name to document title and the longtitle will be hidden for all users. Have a look at:

/modxtvs/assets/plugins/managermanager/docs/fields.htm

Within the green headers this explains a bit more on what parameter can be used. For example the fist one on this page:
          mm_renameField($field, $newlabel, $roles, $templates, $newhelp)

This is telling you that the first value is the field new, then the new name, for what user roles will see this change, for what template to apply this to, and what text goes in the help txt.

When you ask about making the h3 more visual or intuitive what you looking for. You can name it whatever you want when creating the TV and you can also give a description. You mentioned it comes after the editor, what you could do if you want this above is create another TV for content and then make this appear below the H3, you could then hide the main content with MM if it's not needed.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ben