We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 283 Posts
    Hi

Ok i have to put up a site for a customer this week .. now as usual .. i will be using MODX coz it rox my sox .. the customer also needs a forum and a shop.

Now as the SMF integration isnt released yet ... there are some things i would like to know with regards to when the next upgrade comes out..

I am going to use SMF as well as modx and also OSCOMMERCE.

Should i use a seperate database for SMF or should i use the same one .. in the hope that when the integrated version comes out i can upgrade? and have site and forum integrated instead of seperate?

If the case is yes .. then what of OSCommerce ? is there ever likely to be OSC integration? (The rumour is when OSC reaches MS3 which is the next release it will be css layout rather than the current tables)

and either way .. shall i use the same database for OSC?

if i do i may be able to make use of some calls (latest forum posts etc) even if it is never integrated, but is it an advantage .. or a stupid securtiy risk.

Your thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Martyn smiley
      Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
      R.G Taylor
    • I really shouldn’t matter where you put the data for each piece. The integrations we provide or you create yourself should never have to rely on the physical data location of any piece that is being integrated.

I personally try to keep databases small, and contextual, which keeps the internal resources of the database platform running efficiently. And also, I can isolate each system, providing one additional layer of security to penetrate. But it totally depends on your situation. Issue like, do you have unlimited databases from your hosting provider? And though I just don’t think there is a correct answer to this question, I can assure you that the integration of any of these pieces is independent of the issue of where the data tables are physically stored.

I think that’s what I love most about the architecture of MODx; it allows you to find solutions that fit best with your environment, your way of design, and your way of thinking; just takes a little time to tame all that flexible power. laugh
        • 577 Posts
        somebody say oscommerce?

hehe, just give me some more time laugh

I’m working out a few more things wink
          Tangent-Warrior smiley
          • 283 Posts
          Thank you for your thoughts ..
            R.G Taylor
            • 283 Posts
            Quote from: Carsten at Jan 13, 2006, 10:27 AM

somebody say oscommerce?

hehe, just give me some more time laugh

I’m working out a few more things wink

now that sounds exciting! smiley

how much time smiley

and in your opinion .. with what you are working out .. OSC in a seperate DB or the same ?
              R.G Taylor
            • Separate.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 283 Posts
                Thnx Ryan grin
                  R.G Taylor
                • FYI, the MODx site itself is currently three databases:

MODx for the site
                  SMF for the forums
                  Flyspray for the bugtracker
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me