We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 42 Posts
    Hi all,

When viewing a resource of type modSymLink, the [[*id]] returns the ID of the original resource (as you would expect).

Is it possible to retrieve the ID of the modSymLink itself?

Thanks!
      --
      cal wilson
      oksushi.com
    • Quote from: sushi at Sep 22, 2010, 02:11 PM

When viewing a resource of type modSymLink, the [[*id]] returns the ID of the original resource (as you would expect).

Is it possible to retrieve the ID of the modSymLink itself?
      At the current time there is not a way to do this (that I can think of). I would love to hear ideas on how to achieve this before implementing a specific approach. Would you care to enter a ticket for this and maybe we can get some proposals and find the best way to accomplish this in a future release.
        • 42 Posts
        Issue created: http://bugs.modx.com/browse/MODX-2355

(I hope I did that right!)
          --
          cal wilson
          oksushi.com
          • 9 Posts
          The method I am using is a snippet called "getSymlinkId"

the code is below

$id= $modx->resource->get(’id’);

$c = $modx->newQuery(’modResource’);
          $c->select(’content’);
          $c->where(array(’id’=>$id));
          $c->prepare();
          $c->stmt->execute();
          $symlinkId = $c->stmt->fetchColumn();
          $c->stmt->closeCursor();

if(is_numeric($symlinkId) && !empty($symlinkId))
          {
          return intval($symlinkId);
          }

This may help, I think it still needs a bit of work, but it does return the symlink Id
            • 47 Posts
            For those looking for another way to get to the ID of a SymLink itself, I wrote a snippet that does it. This will have been a problem for almost no-one since version 2.0.5-pl when SymLinks were changed to 'overlay' their details on the Target. I found myself in a specific situation though.

I wanted to set the System Setting 'symlink_merge_fields' to 'No' because it made everything a lot simpler in terms of guaranteeing nothing was overwritten with content drawn from the SymLink. I could list all the exceptions (being every single field in a TV rich template), but then if I ever added another field and forgot to add it to that list, strange behaviour may start to creep in.

I wanted the SymLink be IDENTICAL to the Target with the only difference being a correct bread crumb based on the location of the SymLink or Target in the structure. Hence I needed the SymLink ID to bait the BreadCrumb extra properly.

Big thanks to opengeek who supplied the building blocks of this snippet code in a few different places in the forums. The following placed into a snippet will correctly return the ID of the current resource if you have Friendly URLs switched on.

<?php
            $uri = $_GET[$modx->getOption('request_param_alias')];
            $resourceId = 0;
            if (array_key_exists($uri, $modx->aliasMap)) {
                $resourceId = $modx->aliasMap[$uri];
            };

return $resourceId;

If you're not using friendly URLs, try switching $_GET[$modx->getOption('request_param_alias')] for $_GET['q'] (untested but may work based on comments I've seen).

MODX - so many ways to achieve any given thing. Love it! [ed. note: jcdm last edited this post 10 years, 8 months ago.]
            • It would be
              $_GET[$modx->getOption('request_param_id')]
              when friendly urls are not being used.