We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 76 Posts
    hello everyone! smiley

im planing to setup a maybe rather unusual environment (atleast for modx) - well judging from that i havent found anything about it yet... tongue

what im thinking of, is...: a two server environment; so a development server and a public or productive server.
    Has anyone got any experience with this? easy/hard¿ anything to look out for¿

Basically i want to develope on one server, be able to test and do whatever there and on demand transport that to the other server (without having to copy paste everything wink )

thank you guys in advance
    • We’re standardizing on this workflow and use both SVN and DB dumps to handle things.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 76 Posts
        thnx for your reply  grin

is there already a good svn solution for modx available?

so you basicly did it by hand? (new snippets/modules)... or is there a solution available?

how did you handle the file migration? just copy everything except for the cache and config?
          • 1,336 Posts
          My set up is like yours, a public ’production’ server and a private development server. I use SVN as a common repo between the two, develop on the dev server, then when ready update on the production server, this takes care of static files. You dont need to hold the whole MODx installation in SVN, I just hold /assets for instance. I transfer the database doing a simple SQL dump restore using PhpMyAdmin. Its a bit manual but it seems to work OK.
            Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
            • 76 Posts
            ah ok, well the sql stuff should be no problem to get a script doing that.
            but the story about the files would mean that in my transport interface i need sections to transport things individually.

ill have a go coding a module and ill tell you how it went grin

thnx guys! laugh
              • 4,205 Posts
              Tip: If your site has user comments and other user contributions you need to be careful not to wipe them out during the db dump.
                [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                • 76 Posts

i understand that just the frame and settings for everything needs to be copied BUT the contained data needs to be preserved on the productive system. makes sense, thnx for the tip!

a good way to get to learn every corner of the modx db ^^