We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    I have one question about the export function. I would like to use MODx for a network of websites that share the same content database but are each focused on a different category (imagine different gaming consoles).

I wanted to know if MODx built-in export function can be used to render only portions of my website (like reviews) as static pages, or better still as semi-static php pages (for example, to add header and footer includes to the static pages). And can this be done in a network environment (all websites are on the same server) or we should try to code a custom static export function?

Thanks all for your kind help, and sorry for taking so much of your time!
      • 3,250 Posts
      Well, the modx page caching mechanism does your "better still as semi-static php". See if the page is cached MODx creates a php cache file which has all of the unchanging stuff like content, template, etc and lust leaves space for uncached snippets [!snippet!]. When you edit the page and the clear cache checkbox is checked (which it is by default) MODx will clear its cache and regenerate the cached pages on demand.
        • 12 Posts
        That’s good! The only problem is that we would prefer true static files also for user friendly urls without having to use Apache Rewrite functions. They are handy, but when it happens that we have about 1000 visitors online on the main site at the same time this can really cause some trouble to our poor cheap server smiley
        • The static site export function needs to be rewritten for sure; I believe there will be a lot of issues with using it the way you are describing. And though extending the features of the static site export is on the list of to-do’s, I encourage you to customize it for what you need it to do. It should at least be a good starting point for doing what you are talking about.
          • Quote from: DirtyHarry at Jan 07, 2006, 08:28 PM

That’s good! The only problem is that we would prefer true static files also for user friendly urls without having to use Apache Rewrite functions. They are handy, but when it happens that we have about 1000 visitors online on the main site at the same time this can really cause some trouble to our poor cheap server smiley

I used it once, with friendly URLs, and it generated the pages with the friendly URL names.

Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 1,495 Posts
              It fails on me though. Is it because I use uncache snippet on my page?

Btw, it’s a good start, you might be the right person who will improve our current export system in MODx.

All the best
                Wendy Novianto
                [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                [font=Verdana]Xituz Media