We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 107 Posts
    Registering a new user there is no Email sent to the new user (after klicking "Register"). Does anybody know how I can figure out what could be the problem?

Is there for example a debugging mode to find the mistake?

The new user ist listed in the user-list marked as not active, but the user receives no e-mail...

Thanks a lot to everybody who can give me a hint how to solve the problem.
    Gerdi
      • 107 Posts
      UPDATE: Meanwhile I activated the SMTP-functions in the system settings and now it works!!!

But the remaining question is why it is not working without SMTP? I managed to work this a couple of weeks ago using another server. Does this mean that there is a problem (for example php-problem) on my new server?

Gerdi
      • Your server is probably configured to not allow the mail() function to send to anyone outside the server. You can send email to your own domain, but not anywhere else. It’s to prevent a domain being used to send spam.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 130 Posts
          I am having the same problem now, I have tested the presence of mail() using this snippet and it works:

<?php
          $to = "[email protected]";
          $subject = "Test mail";
          $message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
          $from = "[email protected]";
          $headers = "From: " .  $from;
          mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
          return "Attempted Mail Send.";
          ?>

I’ve gone through the docs with a fine tooth comb and I can’t see what I’m doing wrong. I’m using all the default chunks with this call:

[[!Register?
              &submitVar=`registerbtn`
              &activationResourceId=`23`
              &activationEmailSubject=`Thanks for Registering!`
              &submittedResourceId=`22`
              &usergroups=`WebContributors`
          ]]

Hoping someone has a clue as to what’s going on?
            • 14 Posts
            I have the same problem, but it’s probably caused by something else than blocked phpMail(). Although, my client’s host provider told the phpMail() is disabled, Formit plugin send my contact form details normally (i haven’t enabled SMTP from system settings).

Yesterday i moved the whole site to a new server (IIS) and registration email stopped working. User information is stored into the database as usual, but email is not sent.

From Modx error log:

[2011-02-14 06:45:18] (ERROR @ /index.php) modUserProfile: Attempt to set NOT NULL field internalKey to NULL
            [2011-02-14 06:45:18] (ERROR @ /index.php) An error occurred while trying to send the email: 

I don’t know whether this error has something to do with the problem, it didn’t occur with the old server:

[2011-02-14 06:45:47] (ERROR @ /manager/index.php) Error 42S02 executing statement: 
            Array
            (
                [0] => 42S02
                [1] => 1146
                [2] => Table 'osprgcom_modxsite.modx_fc_sets' doesn't exist
            )

MODX Version: Revolution 2.0.7-pl
            PHP Mailer version: 2.0.4
            Database version: 5.0.45-community-nt
            PHP version: 5.2.6

Snippet call and email templates are fine as i haven’t touched them since moving to the new server.