We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,495 Posts
    One more thing that I founf it weird on MODx site.

Check out the rss or atom feed for MODx 20latest forum topic "20 most-recent forum posts: RSS | Atom". When I click the link, I will always open a download manager asking to download index.php, which in my case I’m using Internet Explorer 6,on Media Cnter version 2002.
      Wendy Novianto
      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
    • That’s odd also... can you please file that as a bug in the bugtracker. Don’t have time to track that one down at the moment, but it needs to be addressed. Thanks!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,250 Posts
        http://modxcms.com/bugs/task/176 now closed because this is actually a feature of SMF in that it assigns the symantically correct document type to the download and not the common one that browsers can handle.

While researching this I discovered that we can create a separate feed that would be rss2 valid and have a browser friendly document type.

If anyone wants to know how for their own forums its in News.php...more if people are interested.

Would anyone want this?
          • 1,495 Posts
          Honestly, I never use RSS and etc, but it will be great to avoid confusion when people trying to use that link, abd they receive index.php instead of rss feed in xml format.

Anybody working on this right now? Doesn’t have to be a core member, anybody who know how to solve this will be welcomed to give their idea, right?

Regards,
            Wendy Novianto
            • 3,250 Posts
            Right, but as I stated above I know the solution. Just not sure whether we should apply it. Ryan?
            • I’ve never had problems now that I actually closely read this thread with the RSS here in Safari or in FF. I don’t think we really need to do anything ... I think?
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 372 Posts
                I use RSS with Thunderbird to keep up to date on these forums, I also use it on our site to syndicate our news articles.

I don’t think there is any need to change the way a RSS feed link behaves in a browser, although I am intrigued to see how this other method works. I guess you could automaticly redirect them to a RSS explination page?

1. As more and more people see RSS / XML feeds they have come across this strange page when they click on the link, and now associate the two. If you change the behavior to go to a web page when the link is clicked, it may confuse them more.

2. More importantly What if MODx misinterprets a news reader agent for a browser and therefore not deliver the correct content?

Just some thoughts wink
                  [img]http://www.emanz.ac.nz/assets/images/logo/emanz-icon_16x16.gif[/img] Emergency Management Academy of New Zealand [br] http://www.emanz.ac.nz[br][br]MODx Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle [br]
                  Admin Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle
                  • 3,250 Posts
                  The solution I am talking about is to switch the header back to the one browsers recognize instead of the proprietary ones SMF chose.
                    • 1,495 Posts
                    Quote from: rthrash at Jan 05, 2006, 02:42 PM

I’ve never had problems now that I actually closely read this thread with the RSS here in Safari or in FF. I don’t think we really need to do anything ... I think?

Hemm, that’s weird, it happens in both IE 6 and FireFox 1.5.

Did you use mac or windows?
                    I keep getting the download window of index.php file in both browser, is it just me or it happens with you too mark?

I hope you can fix this with Ryan, it’s just a minor thing though, because when I download the index.php, I didn’t receive any code in it, so it’s not a major security issue, except the inconvinience for certain people that keep receiving that index.php file.
                      Wendy Novianto