We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 42 Posts
    Hi guys - I can access information about the user using filters (in Revo) such as [[++userId:userinfo=`email`]] -- how would I access information entered as ’extended fields’ on a user?

For example, I created an extended field called ’test’ with some value - it is included in the database under the ’extended’ field as {"test":"If this shows, win!"}

And I guess, as an extended question, how is the best way to approach creating a set of extended fields that apply to a particular group of users? So, I create a new user in the manager, select a user group, and am presented with extra fields to complete (or some other way that achieves the same thing)

Thanks! smiley
      --
      cal wilson
      oksushi.com
    • One way for now would be to simply set those as placeholders in a Snippet, e.g.
      <?php
      $modx->toPlaceholders($modx->user->Profile->get('extended'), 'userext');
      ?>

Then you can reference it as:
      [[+userext.test]]

...in your content.
        • 42 Posts
        Thanks for the reply Jason!

Apologies in advance for what is probably a newbie mistake, but putting that snippet on the page (I called it GetExtendedFields) gives me the following error when I view the resource:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /path/to/revo/core/cache/elements/modsnippet/21.include.cache.php on line 7

I tried calling it cached and uncached.

What have I missed?
          --
          cal wilson
          oksushi.com
          • 4,149 Posts
          Try this:
          $profile = $modx->user->getOne('Profile');
          $modx->toPlaceholders($profile->get('extended'), 'userext');

shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • My code was assuming you had already loaded the Profile; sorry for the confusion.
              • 42 Posts
              Thanks to you both, it works a treat!
                --
                cal wilson
                oksushi.com
                • 73 Posts
                Everything you’ve said makes sense, but I am not sure why I am not getting anything thing returned when I do this:

$profile = $user->getOne('Profile');
                $profile->get('phone'); // WORKS
                $profile->get('Company') // Doesn't work although I do have an extended field saved as 'Company'

Data stored as:

{"Region":"Asia Pacific","Company":"My Company"}
                • Quote from: keiron77 at Oct 25, 2010, 08:48 AM

$profile = $user->getOne('Profile');
                  $profile->get('phone'); // WORKS
                  $profile->get('Company') // Doesn't work although I do have an extended field saved as 'Company'

Data stored as:

{"Region":"Asia Pacific","Company":"My Company"}

That’s not how it works. You need to get() the extended field and then get the attributes from it, e.g.
                  <?php
                  $extended = $profile->get('extended');
                  echo $extended['Company'];
                  echo $extended['Region']; 

The "extended" field is stored in the database as JSON and returned by the get() function as a PHP array.
                    • 73 Posts
                    I thought there was a step I was missing out.

Saying "The ’extended’ field is stored in the database as JSON and returned by the get() function as a PHP array.", actually makes it really obvious now.

Cheers
                      • 181 Posts
                      I am trying to manually create user extended fields under the dozen users I have.

I click on add attribute and fill out the form and then hit save, but nothing saves the form remains. Is there something I need to turn on?