We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 27 Posts
    Hey Hey grin

I like this:
    http://modxcms.com/learn/user-profiles/

I’ve inherited a website for a community, and have been trying to figure out how to implement something similar. The idea is that each community member gets a page, and each page has a consistent look and feel. There would be listed fields such as "Name" "Favorite Color" "Member Since" "About Me" along with a single photo. Kind of like a facebook profile circa 2005.

I assume this would require template variables and the DataGrid widget. It would also be wonderful if they could login and create a page by filling out a form for the standard fields... could Ditto do this? I’m investigating using the @DOCUMENT binding to pull the data from the content of a MODx document.

Thanks!

• 27 Posts
      Looking at the documentation for WebloginPE, it seems easy enough to create the form with standard fields, and store that information in the database:

http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/browse/~raw,r=37/modx-components/webloginpe/trunk/assets/snippets/webloginpe/docs/parameters.html

Although I was hoping to append custom tables of info to the user profiles that this type of configuration doesn’t seem to support.

WebLoginPE also has a feature for viewing profiles, however again the configuration would be a nightmare for this site. It seems to require that ALL registered members be displayed on a page, then the user needs to comb through the list and click on profiles. This website has many inactive users that we can’t delete but shouldn’t be displayed on a community profile page.
        • 27 Posts
        Well upon further learning/investigation/thought... I think I might be getting somewhere.

I could use one Template Variable per attribute field, and pull the information from the database using the @SELECT Binding.

Then users could input the information using WebLoginPE’s custom table & custom field feature:
        [!WebLoginPE? &customTable=`my_web_users` &customFields=`favcolor,membersince,location,etc`!]

And I believe WebLoginPE also has a profile picture upload option. I would just need to find a way to append the additional custom tables.

Am I getting somewhere with this? Maybe I should look into an alternate way to create tables in MySQL
          • 3 Posts
          Sounds like you getting somewhere, keep us posted. I’d like to find out how this turns out.
            • 27 Posts
            Well I think I have the WebloginPE custom fields figured out, along with the custom template for the user profiles.

My shortcoming is the MySQL syntax that is needed for the query in the @SELECT binding. I have experience with a number of different programming languages, but I don’t have any database experience.

I’ve been reading up on MySQL, my understanding of the needed syntax and user tables is improving but I’m still not there.