We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 139 Posts
    Maybe it’s me I don’t know, but I cannot seem to find a tutorial or any info on how to set up my users and their permissions to be able to add images or documents or even edit documents on the website. For example, I have created a commercial food equipment sales and service website and I want to allow the employees to add or change certain items like used equipment or specials or what have you so I don’t always have to do this for them. However, I don’t want them to do something that will cause me more work to clean up their mistakes or redo site. So far this seems to be an excellent cms for what I want to do. I am assuming it is my learning curve that is holding me up on trying to figure this out. I have tried to play around with the Security tab creating users, groups, roles etc. but can’t get what I want yet. Sorry for the long winded question.

Sorry, after posting this I found a link in fine print in the top right corner of this forum that may give me what I need. I’m reading through it now. embarrassed

Okay I have read through the documentation, but I’m still a little confused as to whether my users should be web or manager. Can both add, update or edit documents for the public to view?

• 24,544 Posts
      This might help: http://bobsguides.com/permissions.html

Manager users can create new documents directly in the manager (though "allow root" has to be set in the config section if you want them to be able to create documents at the top of the tree.

In the front end, users can create documents via a snippets like FDM or NewsPublisher. Access to those capabilities is usually done with either WebLogin or WebLoginPE and Personalize.

It’s much quicker and simpler to create manager users, but it exposes the users to the Manager and gives them dangerous powers. Whether users create documents in the front end or the back end (Manager) kind of depends on how many users you have and how much you trust them.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting