We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I think this is super-easy, but I can’t seem to find the magic combination of settings that will make it work.

I have all of the images for my site (including ones that are fundamental to the design) in assets/images. When a manager user uploads an image (either via TinyMCE or a file-upload TV I have set up), it gives them full access to the assets/images folder. What’s the best way to restrict this? Would it make more sense to move my site images to a different folder and use this directory only for user uploads, or is there a way to restrict to a subfolder (for example, assets/images/storyimages). I know there are some controls for this on the user level, but I can’t seem to get it working (it always returns a blank folder with no thumbnails), plus, I’d prefer to handle this on the user group level and not on a per-user basis.

Thanks!
      • 3,975 Posts
      Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #2, 15 years ago
      Please see the "User" tab in User editing screen.

For per group level handling, I am not aware of anything so far. May be somebody else chime in and share their expertise.
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
      • I’m not as worried about the group-level problem, but the "user" tab in the User editing screen is where I’m having problems getting it configured correctly in the first place.

I see basically three fields that could affect what I’m trying to accomplish: "File Manager Path," "Resource path" and "Resource URL." I want to change the default directory for a user from "assets/images/" to "assets/images/stories/". What should I fill in, and in which of those fields?

I’ve tried several different combinations, and it always ends up doing nothing (i.e., still full access to "assets/images"), or displaying a "dead" resource browser with no thumbnails and a blank directory tree on the left.
        • Also, from another tip on the forum, I tried adding "assets/images/stories/" to "File Manager Path," but that appears to do nothing.

• 3,975 Posts
            Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #5, 15 years ago
            "File Manager Path" is where the Filemanager starts for that specific user. This directory needs to have specific folders unders it, eg. images, files, flash etc. (please see the description there for exact names)

OR you can simply make global path change in the site configuration.
              Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
            • It’s still not working. I’m wondering if I have a bigger issue -- possibly a server config problem? I’m most likely missing something really simple, but I just can’t seem to pinpoint it. I’m tempted to just move all my other images elsewhere and use that folder for uploads.
                • 2,314 Posts
                Hi there,

i’m trying the same...without luck

i’ve got a manager group that i want to upload their images to a certain folder within the assets/images directory. changing the "Manager Path," "Resource path" and "Resource URL" in the user tab seems not to work...any ideas?

thanks, j