We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 147 Posts
    I have a few questions regarding the assignment of Admin rights for my client:

1. Is there a practical way to allow a single user (single role) to view all documents in the site document tree, but only have edit rights on some of the documents in the tree? (The site I just developed has pages with snippet calls on it and the client really should have no business trying to edit those pages. I want all site pages to show up in the Document tree however so the client can understand the basic site structure, review all pages, and perhaps change the order in which pages sit in the site -- even though, again, there are some pages that I do not want the client to be able to actually edit.)

2. Is there a practical way to allow a single user (single role) to view / edit only a select few of all the chunks that are associated with a site?

3. Does it make sense to utilize ’web user’ functionality when assigning administrative rights to a client, or is it always best to just call upon the manager functionality in order to set a client up with access and update rights to a site?

Thanks in advance for any help.
      • 177 Posts
      There are way more people that know better than me, but I can pass on our experience...

1. Creating a role of a ’Site Admin’ would be the first step - we find Quick Edit easy to train and you can set in the Manager Login Startup
      a page number so they see Quick Edit first (must create a role ’Site Admin’ and set Run module = yes)
      I am not sure you could pick pages to edit and not to edit - I will leave that to people who know better

2. lock out the templates, hunks or snippets to admin only by ticking the box - this should cover your question

3. I think best to create a role and then assign to the user. If there is a lot of people involved look at WebLoginPE because you can set the default role for sign ups.

• 147 Posts
        Thanks for the tips bluespark.

What I did was to create a role for the client user and then create a document group that includes just the few documents that i DO NOT want the client to be able to edit. I then went to the system configuration and set ’show protected pages’ to yes. (this option is under the ’interface and features’ tab). now, all of the documents actually display in the document tree for the client, but if he tries to edit any of the ones in the restricted document group, he can not since he is not a member of that group.

I did as you suggested with the chunks, and it works just fine. The client can see all of the chunks, but I only permit him to edit one or two of them.

As for QuickEdit, I am now having the issue that it does not show up when i log into the site as the client. Not sure what is going on there. Perhaps I accidentally toggled something in the configuration that has turned off QuickEdit for the client role?

Any additional insights on QuickEdit would be helpful. Again, QuickEdit shows up fine when I am logged into the site as the admin. It is not showing up when I log in as the client however.
          • 2,310 Posts
          Did you let the new role have permission to run module ?
            • 147 Posts
            Thanks Bunk. Yes, that was the problem. I have taken care of it now.