We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 353 Posts
    I have literally tons of links regarding MODx topics and I KNOW the information is somewhere on my harddisk, BUT somehow I can’t find the link I’m looking for. Searching the forum and google didn’t help, so I have to ask for your support.

I can remember a post about a neat way to integrate end user related documentation into the MODx backend. I’m not talking about http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Customizing_the_Manager_Homepage.

Something more elegant. Something... I can’t even describe it properly. At the time I read the post I thought "you HAVE to remember that one", but now the information is sitting there in the back of my mind whispering in my general direction "your getting old" ...

What I want is to integrate some kind of user manual into the backend. I should be able to add, edit or remove parts of the information from within the backend and it should also be possible for the end user to get to that information without leaving the document he is working on (perhaps target="_blank" or whatever...).

So, if you have an idea what I’m talking about or have some advice regarding user documentation best practice, please let me know.

Regards,

pepebe
      Homepage: pepebe.de | MODX snippets (and other stuff) at github: https://gist.github.com/pepebe
      • 4,205 Posts
      Not sure if this is what you are thinking of, you can add custom help pages simply by placing the files in the manager/help dir and they will show up as tabs in the manager help page.
        [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
        Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
        • 353 Posts
        Thanks for your reply dev_cw,

I have missed that one. Nice feature and also very convenient to work with. I’ll tinker with this one to find a solution that fits my needs.

The idea that comes up rigth away goes along this line:

Create a new document "User Manual" (don’t publish it, so it can only be viewed by authorized people, deny editing to anyone but me).

Add user_manual.html to the directory with some fluff text and one or more links to the "User Manual" (id=99) and some of its children.

e.g. <a href="../index.php?id=99">User Manual</a>.

This will make it possible to edit the documentation as any other normal document. Now I can write a complete documentation, add images and flash videos. The best thing is, with sufficient rights, I can add, change or remove content whenever I’m in the mood or asked to clarify a particular topic by my client.

This is everything I’ll need for now.

Thanks again,

pepebe
          Homepage: pepebe.de | MODX snippets (and other stuff) at github: https://gist.github.com/pepebe
          • 203 Posts
          knightknight Reply #4, 15 years ago
          @dev_cw, nice tip missed that one.