We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hi! Recently, I’ve been using MODx for managing pages only - with just the Admin as the user.
    So, I’m a newbie on this ’user management’ category. smiley

Now, I have a prospective project that will require user management
    (registration, profile page, the usual - as I’ve read from this sub-forum.)

Here are my concerns and will these be workable in MODx... and how to go about them...?

1. Registered user - after login - can view/edit their profile page.

2. Registered user - can view (only) their personal page (a page where an admin/manager
    will post the user’s account status/info - and/or as a future option - will have the user specific page - pull user specific data from database.)

3. Registered user can only view their own pages - and not other users’ pages/profiles.

4. Registered users can view a common forms page/s where they can choose from a selection
    AND what they have chosen will then be sent to admin/manager for evaluation and then follow thru with the registered user.

5. What is the maximum number of users that MODx can handle/accommodate?

Thank you so much!

Jon
      • 8 Posts
      Sorry to revive an old(ish) topic, but this is information that would be useful to me.

Is there any way to accomplish what Jon has mentioned?

Many thanks

Scott
        --------------------
        If its not broken, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        Capitalisation is the ONLY difference between
        "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."
        Remember children, check your grammar carefully! smiley
        If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, and olive oil is made from olives, then wtf is baby oil made from??!

• 623 Posts
        I second that! I’m interested in the same functionality.

It would be nice to have a profile page act as a private member information page where web users can get personal acct. information, download files, and edit their profile. I have a project coming up that may need to use something of this nature. We’d be willing to collaborate on something like this. Maybe a customized version of WLPE would work with personalize or something.
          The MODx has you...
          Utah Web Design
        • I’d start investigating the capabilities of WebloginPE if your needs are immediate (will currently only run under Evolution/096x).
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 9 Posts
            So basically you want to create a php page that draws the users input information from a database and displays it as a profile page. And also have a way for the user to edit it. sounds like two pages one to display a profile and one to edit it. The edit page would then be able to draw the default ( or if the user has set them already ) variables from the table that has the same id as the checked user id if the user is logged in and then show a form for the result. The edit page would also have a preview to I would guess. which could be a default page drawn with the variables the user has input into the form. Plus a backend view of the page for the admin. Start with the table layout profile_id, user_id, whatever you want to show on a profile page. Images to well then another table with gallery_id, user_id and numericpicture_array picture_name ( also if you wanted to have some fun a description and comment_array, of course changing the users picture name i.e mywiketcoolpic.png to a number and checking to see if that pic doesn’t exist or even getting the highest pic number by exploding with "-" and looking at array[1] of the after mentioned name.). a folder and images based on gallery_id( or even user_id )-<number starting at 0>.(jpg|png|gif) also a toggle for profile_pic( 1|0 ) or static picture name. I am currently working on something like this for I to need this kind of functionality on a site I am developing.
            ^brainstorming

So you want two tables
            table one should include
            profile_id
            user_id
            relative things to bring back
            this could be background image and what not style specific.

table two
            gallery_id
            user_id
            profile_picture == gallery_id-<numeric>.*
            gpath_path == path to gallery images

profile page with a check on the current user id(is logged in) whether to show an edit link or static link with id or clean url to edit their profile
            edit page form to update profile, db, gallery pics+ js goodness
            admin backend to view and or edit the user profile, db, gallery pics.

of course this is so easy to say. you would also need to filter all user input.
            But like I said I am working on what I need and when it is ripe I tell you how I did it.