We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    Hi there,

I haven’t been using MODx long, so might be missing something here. My problem is as follows:

I have a website, with a section A, and subsection A1. I have a user who I want to be able to edit pages in A1, but not in A. So, I’ve created a role "contributor" to allow editing of existing pages, and document groups for both A and A1. The user is in a user group associated with A1, so should have the access specified by his/her role on the documents in that group.

However, logging in as the user, I can’t see the documents in A1. What’s going on here? Is A1 inheriting the restrictions from A? Is there a way around this, without giving the user access to everything in document group A?

Please help!

TrafficJan82
      • 5 Posts
      I wish I had an answer for you, but I’m in the exact same situation! I hope this is just a bug. Users with rights to a subsection, can not see their pages if they do not have rights to the parent above. The crux of this, is that if you then give them rights to the parent page, then they can edit it! The only thing I can think of that might be a way around, is if you keep everything on one level, but have it all set to not show in the nav menu (if you’re using wayfinder), and then use Weblinks pointing to each of your sections to build the navigation. It’d be a lot of work, though, and kind of defeats the purpose of having an expanding document tree.
      • There is a hidden configuration setting for 0.9.6.1 releases that will show documents in the tree even if users don’t have permission to them. If you have access to phpMyAdmin, go to your modx_system_settings table and add a new row with setting_name = tree_show_protected and setting_value = 1.

This needs to be exposed in the manager interface and I’ll see about making that happen for 0.9.6.2.
          • 5 Posts
          THANK YOU!!!! grin
          You saved my site, and my weekend!
            • 2,310 Posts
            That’s like finding a missing piece in the Admin Management jigsaw.
            Thanks Jason!
              • 9 Posts
              Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for! Time to undo my haphazard solution that involved creating every document twice, and pulling content from pages only used to store content...

Jan
                • 589 Posts
                Quote from: OpenGeek at Jun 06, 2008, 05:30 PM

This needs to be exposed in the manager interface and I’ll see about making that happen for 0.9.6.2.

This happened in .9.6.2 ?
                Hm, looks like it is probably in Tools|Configuration / Interface&Features / Show protected pages