We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi all,

I just went through the tutorial of splittingred on creating a blog with getResources et al in Revo. One question that is left open for me: Can I create a new page within the frontend? The current tutorial relies on creating new posts in the backend, but I’d like an editor in the frontend which allows me to create a new post (after authorization).

I know from my earlier attempts in MODx 0.96 that I had this FDM (frontend document manager) - is there something similar in Revo?

Greetings,

Michael
      • 169 Posts
      I too have been wondering when the front-end editing stuff from Evo will be implemented in Revo.
      I asked in a different forum relating to Gallery and asked the same basically. I would like the front end editing/management that is offered with maxigallery.

Here’s the post: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,52239.msg302892.html#msg302892

The reaction of splittingred shows a slight disconnect between the coders and many end-users.

Most of my clients are far from tech-savy.

when editing or uploading stuff, they only understand the kind of interfaces they see on facebook or blogspot (which is a lot for them as is) so I try and design sites that do not require them to enter the back-end manager at all.

Using Quickmanager, Maxigallery, and FDM, I can make a site that they never have to touch the backend and still can do almost anything they need.

FDM- for some reason it’s not in the repository anymore even(there must be a reason why, I’d like to know it), but it can be downloaded from the forums in some post.

Maxigallery- it seems like Doze (the original author) isn’t working on it for Revo, even though I read a post a while ago where he said he was but was busy.

Quickmanager or QuickEdit- I hope that is being worked on.

I know that the modx team has spent a lot of time making Revo a new better modx, especially the back end manager, but I hope they haven’t scrapped the whole front end editing concept that made Evo amazing and tangible for anyone to work with.

I would love for modx team members to post about these choices being made. If they weren’t choices, then it should be looked into.

I’m sure that I am not the only one who liked these features. All of us should chime in so they are not lost!
        www.markojokic.com
        • 3 Posts
        Well, your request was not really answered in that thread ...

I’m quite optimistic, we’ll soon see frontend editing when more stuff is ported to Revo. I’m not in an urge. But after two years of deciding to rebuild my website I’d wish I could finally say: Now is the time, everything’s here. I started my first attempts with 0.96 with FDM which seemed a bit complicated ... lack of time froze my attempts. When I picked up again there was Evo and I tried to go for pkBlog, and now finally we have Revo, and I was quite happy to find the tutorial of splittingred which showed me that it was worth waiting for Revo. It’s doing everything I’d like to have for a blog solution in MODx ... except for the frontend post feature.

I don’t see a reason why one should *not* want to have a frontend editing. If I want to add a blog entry I certainly don’t want to get into the backend. I want to casually log into my website on the frontend, and I or anyone else with appropriate authorization is entitled to add a blog post, while other people may only add comments. I just try to imagine what would happen when I’d like to add a blog comment first, which is possible on the frontend, and then decide to add another blog post, which requires me to log into the backend.

Unfortunately, I just can’t spend much time right now finding out how FDM worked (got way too many projects already running) so I’ll again have to wait until some solution shows up. Or at least a hint.

Michael