We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,624 Posts
    Hi,

No offense to the Ditto and Wayfinder developers but I’m just wondering if it’s really needed to have 2 plugins that almost do the same thing.

Couldn’t getResources do most of the things these plugins do? Maybe a special parameter can be introduced: type = menu, listing

One would generate a "ul li" the other just div’s.

Thanks
    • You can create a simple, flat menu with getResources (it’s all in the tpl’s), but for the special needs of a menu tree, I still turn to Wayfinder. For instance, on my personal site (see http://www.jasoncoward.com/), I used getResources for the simple, flat link lists in the footer, but am still using Wayfinder for the top and side menus in the sub-sections (though now that I think about it, the top menu could probably just be getResources as well tongue ).

Ultimately though, you are correct, with a few additional parameters, getResources (+ getPage for pagination) can eventually do what both Wayfinder and Ditto have traditionally done. However, just a simple type property will not do in my estimation; but with some more advanced sorting and selection options, configurations of getResources for creating dynamic, multi-level menus is absolutely possible. I have some other enhancements for getResources already in the works that may get us closer.

In the meantime, Wayfinder will more easily provide the best menu-building solution, IMO.