We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 99 Posts
    Here’s how my basic install is set it up:

MODx CMS Install Success (1)
    NewFolder (7)
    -NewsEditor (8 )
    -NewsManager (9)

The NewsFolder is completely blank. I just created it because the other 2 pages need a folder ID.

NewsManager has in the TinyMCE field:
    [!NewsManager &folder=`7` &editformid=`8` !]

NewsEditor has in the TinyMCE field:
    [!NewsEditor &folder=`7` &postid=`9` !]

Previous to this, I created the Snippets as directed.

The rest of the instruction says: "If you want to use template variables for the content or the summary in the NewsEditor add the documented @EVAL code in the default value. Finally, if you want, create a ticker TV to make a nice dynamic news ticker on your site."

I have no idea what that means. How can I get this on MODx CMS Install Success(1), the main page?

For some reason, NewsEditor is grey (unpublished) and will not turn black no matter how many times I publish it.
      NOTE TO SELF: http://www.muddydogpaws.com/development/wayfinder/examples/example-1.html for all your navigational questions.
      • 99 Posts
      I added NewsFolder to the menu so it will display and I see that some crap is happening, but It is exactly like any other editable content. There is nothing special about it that I can see...

See here:

Need the ability to add records, not just edit what’s already there.
        NOTE TO SELF: http://www.muddydogpaws.com/development/wayfinder/examples/example-1.html for all your navigational questions.
        • 7,075 Posts
        Quote from: nate22 at Mar 11, 2008, 04:00 PM
        For some reason, NewsEditor is grey (unpublished) and will not turn black no matter how many times I publish it.

I don’t know which manager theme you’re using (probably MODx Light), in which case publishing a document will turn its title in the document tree from italic grey to normal grey (a little darker) if you did not tick the show in menu flag in document properties that’s why it doesn’t turn black wink

Quote from: nate22 at Mar 11, 2008, 04:28 PM
        I added NewsFolder to the menu so it will display and I see that some crap is happening, but It is exactly like any other editable content. There is nothing special about it that I can see...
        Need the ability to add records, not just edit what’s already there.

Heck, NewsManager is probably not the easiest solution... NewsPublisher or FrontendDocumentManager might be easier (not to mention more recent).

Nevertheless, I think you missed something important here.

More probably than not, you’ll have to :
        1) create a specific template for your news items
        2) insert this snippet call before or after your content in the template you just created : [!NewsManager &folder=`7` &editformid=`[*id*]`!]

Read again the "documentation.html" in the snippet package => &editformid : document id used to modify an article ($_REQUEST[’editid’] will hold the id of the document to modify)

You can leave &postid alone in my opinion : the doc says "&postid document id to load after working with a news item. Default = current page". postid is used only to define where you’ll be redirected after posting.

Beware I never worked with NewsManager I might just be plain wrong !

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • 99 Posts
          I need a drink. Or maybe just a bunch of sleeping pills. wink :’( thank you... I will come back to this at some point.
            • 206 Posts
            I did put the Manager and Editor pages in an Admin folder, separated from the actual news folder.

For the RTE just make a TV associated to your news pages’ template. Chose the RT widget. For me the @EVAL binding didn’t work, I put
            [[DynContent? &docid=`[+editid+]`]]
            snippet call in the Default Value and it did the job. (Of course the DynContent snippet must be installed then.)
              • 11 Posts
              DynContent is not enough when you want to have two TVs - one for introtext and other for content.

And this is what I found in documentation od NewsEditor:
              @EVAL if (isset($_REQUEST[’editid’]) && $_REQUEST[’editid’] != ’’) { $editid = $_REQUEST[’editid’]; $tbl = $modx->getFullTableName( ’site_content’ ); return $modx->db->getValue( "SELECT content FROM $tbl WHERE (id = $editid)"); }return ’’;
              This has to be put as one line. Above example puts content of the edited article in content richtext field. To have it work with introtex field you simply replace "SELECT content" with "SELECT introtext" and that’s it.

Besides I’m not quite sure how DynContent works when adding new article. Above EVAL simply leaves empty field.
                • 206 Posts
                The @EVAL code didn’t work for me, so I found this workaround. To have the introtext in RTE TV I would try the GetField snippet which is for getting any document field (even the content).
                But that’s only me, try and make your own way.