On March 26, 2019 we launched new MODX Forums. Please join us at the new MODX Community Forums.
Subscribe: RSS
  • I was inspired by Jasons arguments in the 5000 document limit thread. Basically he warned to make a MODx document for everything, especially for plain data.

So instead I will use one single MODx document to display external ’documents’ from a custom catalog table. I will introduce a second GET parameter to identify my external ’document’ like so:

http://www.mysite.com/index.php?id=111&fetch=85

Where id is a MODx document and "fetch" identifies which record to fetch from my custom database.

So I am new to Jot and I have an idea that might be a little bit crazy. What I want to do is use JOT to comment on my external ’documents’. I understand that to use JOT you need to pass a docid argument which identifies a MODx document (the article that is being commented). My MODx document however is always the same, only ’fetch’ changes. Would i break JOT if I’d pass it my ’fetch’ id instead?
    • Jot snippet already has feature for resolving this issue. Apart from docid parameter (identifying the MODx document that the comment is attached to) it also has additional tagid parameter -- used in the situation when you need to call (and distinguish) two or more Jot’s instances on the same MODx document. You can read about Jot’s parameters here http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Jot#Parameters

I think that you should try something of this kind:
      [[Jot? &docid=`111` &tagid=`your-fetch-value` ... ]]

where 111 is MODx document used for displaying your "external documents" and "your-fetch-value" is an id of your "external document" itself. All comments will be attached to single MODx document, but through tagid you will be able to select/filter only those comments that belong to the specific "external document" currently being displayed by your MODx 111 document.
      • Cool, that’s exactly what I need! I wasn’t so sure about what the tagid does. Thanks!