We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    I’m only beginning to grasp how MODx works and everything... so far, I like it very much. It will require some time until I get comfortable with the system, but it won’t be too hard, I think — things seem reasonably intuitive. And the architecture seems incredibly flexible.

I was wondering if it’s possible to set up a hierarchical comments system — like the comments in Slashdot or Daily Kos. Has somebody already done something like that?

What I’m shooting for: posts/stories/whatever that appear on the front page, which get commented on by users, in a hierarchical structure. Once I get that working, I would also like to have a rating system, once again like Daily Kos. For both posts and comments.

An example of what I’m hoping to accomplish.

So, first and foremost, is it doable?
    Hard?
    What techniques should I be looking at?
    Are there already some building blocks I could use?

(I know Forums are supposed to be introduced very soon... but that’s not really what I’m looking for. Once again, the two important criterias: hierarchical comments that are linked to front-page posts.)

Thanks for any help.
    • It should be entirely doable, but I suspect one of the forum integration efforts is more suited to this. Djamoer (Wendy ... and it’s in the masculine sense, btw) is working on integrating Phorum that should suit this purpose perfectly I suspect.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,495 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Feb 28, 2006, 01:07 AM

It should be entirely doable, but I suspect one of the forum integration efforts is more suited to this. Djamoer (Wendy ... and it’s in the masculine sense, btw) is working on integrating Phorum that should suit this purpose perfectly I suspect.

Thanks for clarifying that Ryan wink lol...

Yes, I’m working on that, even though it’s not currently under my active list right now, but it’s still on my task list. If you have any interest in phorum integration, feel free to drop by in phorum.org forum or you can contact me. I’ll be more than welcome to have you on board in helping me out if possible wink
          Wendy Novianto
          [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
          [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
          • 12 Posts
          Quote from: rthrash at Feb 28, 2006, 01:07 AM

It should be entirely doable, but I suspect one of the forum integration efforts is more suited to this. Djamoer (Wendy ... and it’s in the masculine sense, btw) is working on integrating Phorum that should suit this purpose perfectly I suspect.
          I guess the "threaded forum" option of Phorum would be able to provide what I’m looking for... Although it would have to allow for the display of every comment’s contents — not just its title (again, as in Slashdot). But I suspect there exists a way to do that in Phorum...

Quote from: Djamoer at Feb 28, 2006, 02:32 AM

Yes, I’m working on that, even though it’s not currently under my active list right now, but it’s still on my task list. If you have any interest in phorum integration, feel free to drop by in phorum.org forum or you can contact me. I’ll be more than welcome to have you on board in helping me out if possible wink
          I’d love to lend a hand, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t be of much help...

I’m very newbie-ish at all things PHP/SQL/MODx-related — for now... wink

I really hope I can get my hands on something close to my goals in the near future...

Thanks for the insights...
            • 1,495 Posts
            Hey Berluer,
            Sure thing, when I get something done, I will always share it to the community, so just keep an eye on the development of MODx.

Btw, I’m a PHP newbie as well though, just started to get into serious coding using PHP since a few months ago after joining MODx. lol grin
            Let me tell you upfront, PHP is one of the easiest language to learn. So if you want to, it will be a good time for you to sharpened your PHP coding skill. smiley

If you have any further question, feel free to drop it by on this forum.

Sincerely,
              Wendy Novianto
              [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
              [font=Verdana]Xituz Media