We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 315 Posts
    Hi all,

I’ve been using Jot for a little while and I’ve hit a small problem. When people post to my pages I get an email containing the post but the Name and Email address is blank.

Posting requires regsitration and everything works as it should but for this one bit.

I’ve got:

Jot 1.1.2
    Apache 1.3
    Nix server
    Modx 0.9.6

Email comes through as:
    Dear BBloke,

A new reply has been posted to a topic you are moderating.

-----
    Name: 
    Email:  
    Subject: Re: BBlokes Current Project - Bruden in der Armens

Is there something I can do to put the names in ?
      BBloke
      • 958 Posts
      Have got the same issue undecided any ideas?
        [img]http://i10.tinypic.com/52c4eir.gif[/img][/td]
        [td][Wiki] [Persian support forum]
        [SVN] [RTL SVN Branch] [bugs] [FishEye+Crucible] [Learn MODx!] | [My Google Code]
        [font=tahoma][برای دسترسی به راهنمای فارسی به [url=http://www.modxcms.ir]
        • 315 Posts
        Nope.. was looking at the code and it was a little bit of a chase. Tried a couple of things but nada.

I did notice that when you are logged in the details put into the DB is the userid of the poster.. whereas when it a full form the details of the field are held elsewhere but I couldn’t find where it would parse the data through the form. sad
          BBloke
          • 4,213 Posts
          In some server environments, it’s not possible to change/set the email sender address/name details.. In one of my environments, it’s always set to what the account provider has set it in php.ini.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 315 Posts
            I understand what you are saying doze but I dont think its the case here.

The name and email address in my original post is for the person who has made a comment who has signed into my website.

When you are not logged in and using Jot you have to complete Name and Email which does come through in the notification email.

When you are logged in you dont have to complete Name or Email Address and the resultant notification shows as my original post: blank! huh

It would be nice to see who has made the comment when they have signed into the site just as much as it is nice to see those that complete the form when they havent signed in.
              BBloke
              • 4,213 Posts
              Oh yea, sorry, didn’t read carefully enough.. So the problem is that all of the form POST data is not coming to the Email content field.. then there is probably a bug somewhere in the guts of Jot..

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                • 315 Posts
                Thats the thing. I think it is. Well if you look at the anonymous post yes.

You have 4 fields: name, email, subject and content. All of these come through.

when you have signed in you have just 2: subject and content.

The name and email address are derised through the the functions in Jot and are dealt with seperately in the DB for Jot.

I dont think its a bug as such just something thats missing!

When a user posts an anonymous comment the creator in the DB is set to 0 and the details of the poster are held in a seperate DB. When the user is signed in the createby field is populated with a negative userid value.
                  BBloke
                  • 958 Posts
                  I must say the same... embarrassed
                  Quote from: BBloke at Aug 29, 2007, 10:35 AM

I dont think its a bug as such just something thats missing!
                    [img]http://i10.tinypic.com/52c4eir.gif[/img][/td]
                    [td][Wiki] [Persian support forum]
                    [SVN] [RTL SVN Branch] [bugs] [FishEye+Crucible] [Learn MODx!] | [My Google Code]
                    [font=tahoma][برای دسترسی به راهنمای فارسی به [url=http://www.modxcms.ir]
                    • 398 Posts
                    If i remember correctly this is a default template issue, look at the template for notifications and you can add another variable for listing the user information.

sample for username:

[+comment.createdby:userinfo=`username`:ifempty=`[+comment.custom.name:ifempty=`[+jot.guestname+]`+]`+]

Will display username if the user was logged in, else will display the name value from the form, else will show default guestname.
                      Armand Pondman
                      MODx Coding Team
                      :: Jot :: PHx
                      • 315 Posts
                      Wonderful... worked a treat and so happy smiley smiley smiley
                        BBloke