We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 28 Posts
    I’m seriously missing something and it is probably something very easy.

I followed SD’s Tagged Blogging WIKI
    http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Tagged_blogging_with_Ditto

The counting comments seems to be working.

I’m still having issues with the category listing, but I decided to sit that aside and work on JOT!

And now, I’m not able to get Jot to work for commenting.

I’d just like to set up a "add a comment" link to each post that will link to the comment form and a listing of existing comments for that specific post.

My count comments link takes me to the individual post page, but does not display the Jot comment form.

ANY help would be appreciated.

www.ylice.net

user name = guest
    password = password
      • 255 Posts
      Instead of using a different page (haven’t got a clue how to handle that) you could rather put the Jot call in a chunk and drop that one at the bottom of all your blog/news posts, that way you can filter it out and Ditto but do display it on the pages showing the whole story.
        • 28 Posts
        I started over - COMPLETELY since this post. I actually did a full clean install to wipe out all my mistakes!

Scotty D has been kind enough to show me his coding, chunks and calls. I’m slowly making progress. The big "click" hasn’t happened yet, but pieces are making more sense now.

I still have about 100 questions, but I’m trying to figure them out by trial and error. I take Scotty’s perfectly good code, try it out on my site and then mess with it until I break it!

This was my last effort before admitting I was too inexperienced to use MODx right now. I love it, but I thought maybe I jumped in too soon and should go back to the "kiddie table" and use WordPress or something. At least until MODx was at a point where the documentation could be expanded for the beginners like me! grin

But, I’m going to hang in here a little longer.

I think I have Jot working with comments now, but I printed out the Jot documentation and the included css and templates. I’m sure I’ll tweak it until it breaks too!

I appreciate your help though. It’s good to know I can post newbie questions and get responses.
          • 255 Posts
          I’m not too quick in responding usually, but I usually try to help newbies as good as I can, especially since I’m just a little more experienced than a newbie wink
            • 40 Posts
            Quote from: Leftblank at Jan 31, 2007, 02:14 PM

Instead of using a different page (haven’t got a clue how to handle that) you could rather put the Jot call in a chunk and drop that one at the bottom of all your blog/news posts, that way you can filter it out and Ditto but do display it on the pages showing the whole story.

How would you go about filtering the jot chunk from Ditto? I mean, I put the jot call into a chunk and dropped it into a blog post, but it still shows up on the main page.
              • 255 Posts
              Quote from: bocmaxima at Feb 01, 2007, 04:36 PM

How would you go about filtering the jot chunk from Ditto? I mean, I put the jot call into a chunk and dropped it into a blog post, but it still shows up on the main page.
              If you’ve named your blogchunk i.e. ’Commentschunk’, then your Ditto call where you filter it should contain ’&commentsChunk=`Commentschunk`, that way Ditto should leave out the ’Commentschunk’ HTML from the pages.
                • 40 Posts
                Quote from: Leftblank at Feb 01, 2007, 05:55 PM

Quote from: bocmaxima at Feb 01, 2007, 04:36 PM

If you’ve named your blogchunk i.e. ’Commentschunk’, then your Ditto call where you filter it should contain ’&commentsChunk=`Commentschunk`, that way Ditto should leave out the ’Commentschunk’ HTML from the pages.
                What I did, is I put Jot into a separate template for blog pages, and it seems to be working at the moment. The template is the same template as the main one, but with Jot added after the content.

Is that ok to do?
                  • 255 Posts
                  Sure, that’s exactly the way I handle it as well. I’ve seen some advantages of adding it into a new template as well, but right now I consider it too much work to change all of it, perhaps I will do so later.
                  • With MODx there is no "right way" and "wrong way". If it works, it’s a "right way" grin
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org