We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 398 Posts
    Because of some questions i recently read about Jot storing comments outside of the document tree i was wondering if there’s a need for an option of storing comments as documents in the tree?
      Armand Pondman
      MODx Coding Team
      :: Jot :: PHx
      • 1,097 Posts
      The option of storing comments as documents in the tree already exists - it’s called Not Using Jot.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
        • 398 Posts
        True True  grin

But i could store the comments as documents with predefined properties in a subfolder of the document source (or a dedicated Jot folder).
        Ofcourse still using the Jot custom fields table (that would be somewhat like TV’s, but document bound instead of template bound.
        This would actually open up some new possibilities.

edit:

this question is also related to the upcoming Jot forum implementation we talked about.
          Armand Pondman
          MODx Coding Team
          • 239 Posts
          I would not need such an option, IMHO it just clutters the document tree by adding hundreds of documents, which will eventually make the site slow. Also I do not see the advantage of this approach (especially since there is now the edit feature)
            • 20 Posts
            Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 28, 2006, 03:27 PM

The option of storing comments as documents in the tree already exists - it’s called Not Using Jot.

I agree!
              • 398 Posts
              i’ll scrap the idea from my notebook wink
              If there are features that are wanted let me know smiley
                Armand Pondman
                MODx Coding Team
                • 1,097 Posts
                I was a bit short earlier...

Personally, I’d hang on until MODx 1.0, it might make more sense to go back to documents then (extending standard MODx data). But right now, I’d have nothing against a parallel snippet that does use documents, and the forum solution as discussed previously does benefit from having documents to hang the comments off.

I’m sure that there are many parts of Jot that could be usefully applied to documents, but I think that should be a distinct snippet to avoid confusion.
                  No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                  MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                  Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                  Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                  Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                  MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
                  • 398 Posts
                  well that’s pretty much the point... i want to start already with closing the gap to 1.0 wink
                    Armand Pondman
                    MODx Coding Team
                    • 415 Posts
                    +1 for the comments served as documents (with an options ?), so it would be easier to interract jot with other snippets: Ditto, dittoCal wink ...
                      MODx Sites & Prestations: http://dp-site.fr [Last MODx Site]
                      MODx Repository: [HOME] [MetaTagsExtra] / Current Dev: [xFDM]