We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Think it has to do with the database user rights in phpmyadmin. Created in phpmyadmin the modx database, the database user (with all rights) and his password, and changed the admin password.

When installing modx. got through last page and it gave me there errors -

modx setup couldn’t install/alter some tables inside the selected database.
    displayed several errors.
    Some tables were not updated. This might be due to previous modifications.

What specifically should I be looking for in phpmyadmin or logs to correct? Again, I’m new to phpmyadmin..
      • 7,075 Posts
      Question : Which version of XAMPP are you running ? MODx works fine with 1.4.16 but I have reports of problems with the new 1.5.1 (still have to check that out...).

Would that also be your case ?
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 59 Posts
        actually, it’s version 1.0. Didn’t realize it was that old. Can try the newer version and see what happens.
          • 7,075 Posts
          If you can get 1.4.16, would be better...
          As I said, 1.5.1 had been reported to cause problems with rewrite rules.
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 59 Posts
            Sigh.
            Ok I installed the earlier version of xampp. Now, it doesn’t load in the browser when Apache and mySQL are running in xampp as it did before. I uninstalled the previous version.
            There must be an easier way to do this. I want to get started with modx locally and don’t have time to troubleshoot all the little issues with xampp. Is there a simpler way to do this? When visiting the xampp forum saw only one mention of modx that someone else had problem with, the rest is hard to decipher from the broken English. Is there a simpler way to do this besides xampp that doesn’t involve numerous tweaks. In other words, install it, then copy over modx and run it’s install then boom you’re done. It’s loaded, ready to work. No adding of external database settings, user, etc.
            • I’m not sure what the problems are you are encountering, but I’ve installed three different versions of XAMPP, made one config change for enabling mod_rewrite in Apache, and installed MODx, no problem. If I wanted friendly URL’s, I simply enable those after installing MODx and rename the ht.access file to .htaccess, and bam. And I’ve done it from scratch at least 10 times this year already, just to make sure I didn’t forget any steps when describing it to people. ;-)

I currently use XAMPP 1.5.0-pl1 on Windows XP for all my development and testing and have never had to tweak anything in either XAMPP or MODx (again, beyond enabling the mod_rewrite module) to get it working. Are you using the PHP 5 instance that comes with XAMPP or PHP 4?

Feel free to PM or IM me today (see my profile for IM) and I’d be glad to help you work through these problems with installation if you get a moment or two.
              • I must be crazy as I could’ve sworn Susan did the errorno fix that should’ve squished the installer bugs on non-english languages. Can you please point out the location of that to me so we can get our first 0.9.2 build out? Thanks!

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • I’ve done it twice. I’m gonna be annoyed if I have to do it again...
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • Just point me the link here in the forum... I’m feeling like a moron.
                      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me