We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 21 Posts
    Hi, I’m trying to develop a job website, that ties into other recruiter websites. They like to have custom XML feeds from the job posting blog, which is what I’ve been working on. At the minute I am trying to get the feeds visible just to me, as of right now they are not.

I have setup 2 chunks for each feed format, which has the custom XML tags in that tie into specific TVs for my blog template.

One of the XML chunks looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <trovit>
    <ad>
        <id><![CDATA[ [*job_ref*] ]]></id>
        <url><![CDATA[ http://www.*******.com/jobs/18122009.html ]]></url>
        <title><![CDATA[ [+rss_pagetitle+] ]]></title>
        <content><![CDATA[ [+introtext+] ]]></content>
        <city><![CDATA[ [*location*] ]]></city>
        <salary><![CDATA[ [*job_salary*] ]]></salary>
        <category><![CDATA[ [*job_category*] ]]></category>
        <date><![CDATA[ [*date*] ]]></date>
       </ad>
    </trovit>

This conforms to the site in questions (Trovit) XML requirements. I have used a static link to one job posting in there temporarily to check it wasn’t the link system messing around.

My call in the XML Resource that gives the feed (as per the Ditto Wiki instructions) looks like this:

[[Ditto? &parents=`10` &format=`rss` &summarize=`20` &total=`20` &tpl=`rss_trovit`]] 

The other RSS feed has a similar setup, just with slightly different tags for the corresponding recruiters requirements, but it effectly amounts to the same thing.

So yeah, when I preview the RSS feed from the cp, the feed is just blank?

Am I doing something really blatantly stupid? Can I even have multiple feeds?

Thanks in advance...
      • 21 Posts
      Right I’ve managed to get it working by sticking

<item>
      		<title>[+rss_pagetitle+]</title>
      		<link>[(site_url)][~[+id+]~]</link>
      		<description><![CDATA[ [+introtext+] ]]></description>
      		<pubDate>[+rss_date+]</pubDate>
      		<guid isPermaLink="false">[(site_url)][~[+id+]~]</guid>
      </item>

BEFORE the trovit XML format.

I have 2 problems now, my TVs don’t seem to parse through to the XML, and I also need to reformat [+rss_date+] into DD/MM/YYYY year format, else the XML validator complains.

Is it even possible to pass TVs into custom XML?

Thanks.
        • 21 Posts
        Okay solved this on my own. For anyone elses reference, if you need custom XML in your format Chunk, and you want to use TVs from your blog post, you need to reference them as [+tvTVName+] instead of [*TVname*]

I just need a hand with changing pubDate to DD/MM/YYYY format now if anyone can help there?
          • 353 Posts
          Hi,
          So if my TV is called question1 whats the correct syntax?

[+tvquestion1+]

I’m using Revo 2.1

Thanks