We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 37 Posts
    Hi all,

I am always looking for new ways to use the power of MODx to my advantage. Today I decided to build a downloads section.
    The structure I imagined was one entry page which lists all of it’s subfolders as categories, and all of the documents within as downloads. I based the documents on a new template for which I have special plans. To manage the downloadable files, I added a TV to this template of the type File.
    This gives the page editor the possibility to add a file to the document (the document itself contains the description).

But what happens with these File TV’s? I get a browse button to select a local file. And the filename is saved with the document. But should this file be uploaded to the server automatically? I can’t find it anywhere, and neither does the TV widget.

If the system is working I’ll post it here ofcourse. I plan to include things like number of times downloaded and stuff by using snippets.
    • Hi Olaf... that sounds really great, and is actually something very much like we need for the support site.

Hopefully Raymond will respond soon with the answer on the upload TV widget. What version are you working off of by chance?
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 37 Posts
        It says "MODx2 TP3 (x2)" in my manager.
          • 93 Posts
          Quote from: Olaf at Aug 03, 2005, 07:15 PM

But should this file be uploaded to the server automatically? I can’t find it anywhere, and neither does the TV widget.
          It should, at least TP2.1 (MODx 2 RC3 (x2)) did so. If I recall correctly the file ended up in the the assets/images directory. I’ve tried the same in TP3.1 (MODx 2 TP3 (x2)) and I can’t see anything happening. It seems like it takes a little longer to save the page. My best bet is that it’s still a path problem. And the code tries to save it somewhere without proper access. Did you try making the assets dir writable?

Where should these files go? resourcedir + /upload/ ?
            • 93 Posts
            I’ve been off a little since the RSS feed changed from vertexworks to modxcms. Catching up now. Big changes! A real bug tracker! Cool looks! Great work guys!

As I consider this file TV still a bug. Olaf, do you list it there? http://modxcms.com/bugs/
              • 37 Posts
              Yep, the bug is in the bugtracker. It has something to do with a variable that is not set. $im_plugin_base_dir, but I haven’t found where it should be set.
                • 1,732 Posts
                Hi

Thanks for pointing this one out I think that variable should be changed to $rb_base_dir
                  xWisdom
                  www.xwisdomhtml.com
                  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                  MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                  • 37 Posts
                  That was my guess also. The uploading works with that changed, but the file is uploaded in the root of the assets dir. Not really the place I would want those files. And the widget displaying the TV doesn’t work correctly with that new path. The widget links to the file directly in the root of the MODx installation.