We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    After completing a new install of Modx I get this when I try to visit the main page of the website.

? MODx Parse Error ?
    MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
    ? Execution of a query to the database failed ?
    ? ? ? SQL: SELECT DISTINCT sc.id,sc.pagetitle,sc.description,sc.parent,sc.alias FROM `shinji`.modx_site_content sc LEFT JOIN `shinji`.modx_document_groups dg on dg.document = sc.id LEFT JOIN `shinji`.modx_documentgroup_names dgn ON dgn.id = dg.document_group WHERE sc.parent = ’0’ AND sc.published=1 AND sc.deleted=0 AND (1=’1’ OR NOT(dgn.private_webgroup<=>1)) ORDER BY sc.menuindex ASC;?

I have shell access so I executed the command directly onto the database and ended up with this error.

ERROR 1: Can’t create/write to file ’/var/tmp/#sql_373b_0.MYD’ (Errcode: 17)

Any suggestions?

BTW, /var/tmp is chmodded 0777 so it should of been writable.? I mean come on.

My website url: http://shinji.chaosnet.org/modx/
    I am running version 2.0 RC3

The straight Etomite install works fine.

*edit*
    I checked out the query some more and dropped the keyword DISTINCT. Now it works but since it is supposed to only give unique names I think this might have an adverse effect if I use it in the script. Can anyone give me a modified query for the various SELECT DISTINCT statements? I was reading that there is a way to make it faster and not use the DISTINCT keyword.
      • 1,732 Posts
      What version of MySQL are you running?
        xWisdom
        www.xwisdomhtml.com
        The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
        MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
        • 6 Posts
        Quote from: xwisdom at Jun 26, 2005, 06:33 AM

What version of MySQL are you running?

mysql Ver 4.0.24 for netbsd (alpha)

BTW, I went ahead and did a test run of Modx without the DISTINCT keyword in the sql queries. I edit manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php and changed the 6 references to the SELECT DISTINCT command to be just plain SELECT and Modx started working fine. However I don’t know of any of the possible side effects to removing the keyword. I reverted the file back so that you can see the error on my website.
          • 1,732 Posts
          Now that’s strange.

It would appear to me that you’re having some problems with the installation of MySQL

The DISTINCT keyword is used when working with secure web pages. Maybe you can try testing some select distinct statements on your mysql server and see if it generates the same message. I’ve tested the select distinct on Mysql 3.23 and hight and it worked ok.

xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            • 6 Posts
            Quote from: xwisdom at Jun 26, 2005, 03:22 PM

Now that’s strange.

It would appear to me that you’re having some problems with the installation of MySQL

The DISTINCT keyword is used when working with secure web pages. Maybe you can try testing some select distinct statements on your mysql server and see if it generates the same message. I’ve tested the select distinct on Mysql 3.23 and hight and it worked ok.

So you are saying it might be an installation problem with mysql?? If so I will post that as a possible reason for this issue on the internal boards so that the admin will see it.

This is an extremely stripped down query.? It only uses SELECT with the DISTINCT QUERY and FROM (so that it knows what table).

SELECT DISTINCT sc.id,sc.pagetitle,sc.description,sc.parent,sc.alias FROM `shinji`.modx_site_content sc;

This causes the same error.? Once again.? Dropping the DISTINCT keyword allows the query to run.? 3 others that are connecting to the same server also get the same error with other queries.? Namely ones using ORDER BY or GROUP BY in the query.? Dropping that part always makes it so that it works but the effect is obvious.? Now that is getting off the topic at hand though so...

*edit*
            I don’t run the server. This is a server run by another group of people who have been very nice. They previously were running Mysql 3.23 and Netbsd 1.62 then upgraded to Netbsd 2.02 and Mysql 4.0.24. That is when the issue cropped up. We don’t use secure websites (no https).
            • Quote from: shinji at Jun 26, 2005, 03:39 PM

So you are saying it might be an installation problem with mysql? If so I will post that as a possible reason for this issue on the internal boards so that the admin will see it.

Yes, this is a problem with MySQL. Here is a posting about a similar problem and solution by changing a simply mysql.ini setting -- http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=9551
                • 6 Posts
                Thanks. I have posted a message appropriately to the internal boards of the server I am hosted on. Hopefully this will get resolved. tongue
                  • 1,732 Posts
                  I think the problem is releated to creating temporary tables in MySQL. According to MySQL docs in some case whenever the DISTiNCT keyword is used with ORDER BY a temporary table is created.

I think we might be removing the distinct keyword in TP3 to speed things up a bit smiley
                    xWisdom
                    www.xwisdomhtml.com
                    • 6 Posts
                    Quote from: xwisdom at Jun 26, 2005, 08:27 PM

I think the problem is releated to creating temporary tables in MySQL. According to MySQL docs in some case whenever the DISTiNCT keyword is used with ORDER BY a temporary table is created.

I think we might be removing the distinct keyword in TP3 to speed things up a bit smiley

So are you saying it is safe to change the sql statements and remove DISTINCT keyword from them?
                      • 1,732 Posts
                      Quote from: shinji at Jun 26, 2005, 08:47 PM

So are you saying it is safe to change the sql statements and remove DISTINCT keyword from them?

Not as is. TP3 will have some improvements that will not requuire the DISTINCT keyword in most cases
                        xWisdom
                        www.xwisdomhtml.com

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.