We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    hi,
    i just received an email from the support team of the hosting company i'm using, and they don't want to enable mod_rewrite. is it actually difficult to enable it for a certain domain only? and can it be done any other way? thanx
    • I don't think you can do that via .htaccess, as it requires a module to be loaded into Apache. Hopefully someone who is more welled versed than I can answer this question better.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 680 Posts
        It does require an apache module but mod_rewrite comes as an pre-installed module in most Apache installs.

You can turn the mod_rewrite engine on and off at either a VirtualHost level or .htaccess level.

I don't know of any other way to do mod_rewrite if the host won't enable it for you. About the only thing I can think of would be to set your 404 file as a custom php script that would check the requested url against the aliases in the database and redirect appropriately. But that is a REALLY UGLY way of getting things done and the address bar still wouln't show the alias.

You could also set up a bunch of redirects in your .htaccess but that would be a maintenance nightmare, and again no human friendly urls in the address bar.
        • hi,
          i just received an email from the support team of the hosting company i'm using, and they don't want to enable mod_rewrite. is it actually difficult to enable it for a certain domain only? and can it be done any other way? thanx

You might consider some other hosting services that enable standard features. It's very difficult to imagine a good reason for not including mod_rewrite functionality on a shared Apache server, but perhaps they believe it is a resource hog (only if users use it incorrectly).

I host a ton of WordPress and Eto/MODx sites through two different hosting services that I provide, making generous use of mod-rewrite rules and I couldn't live without the capability personally... :roll:

Feel free to contact me if you need a new host. (a swelling of shame for promoting my own services in these forums comes over me)
            • 7 Posts
            thanx for your answers guys. i'm going to write an angry smiley letter to the support guys and then to the sales department and if i don't get any result, i could use some hosting suggestions. i need a quick european server at a reasonable price

@OpenGeek- what's you offer smiley