We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 361 Posts
    Hi all,
    Curious if somebody could point me in the right direction to hack Ditto to exclude the first (or first couple) of the returned items.

For example, let’s say you want to Ditto the most recent 5 items, but the first one needs to be with a different output template. You could have the first ditto call to summarize=1, then the second to summarize=4, but how would you get the second Ditto call to ignore the first? (Or, another example: You need to put a banner in between the first and second call, or you have the first 3 items in 1 column and the next 3 in another, etc.)

I know it’d be possible to use the archive formatting to achieve something like this, but that only works if the archive and the summaries come right together. Using a placeholder for the archive could possibly work, but wouldn’t be idea..

Any ideas? My PHP is ok, but I’d love to hear how other people would approach this problem.
    Thanks for any advice.
    -Brett
      Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
      • 141 Posts
      I’m sure I did something similar on an old site using filters on IDs in NewsListing, which can’t be all that different from Ditto. I can’t remember the details or access the site at the moment but I will have a look at the weekend, if you have not found a solution by then.

Meanwhile, read the documentation and threads regarding filters and see if you can’t suss it from there.
        • 361 Posts
        Thanks a lot, zenmaster. I hadn’t even thought about using filters (and have never played around with them). I’ll take a look and report back if I figure anything out.
          • 3,250 Posts
          All you actually need to to do is append &start=5 to the snippet call.
            • 361 Posts
            Wow. Brilliant.
            It was hidden in the IF statement so I didn’t even notice.
            Thanks for making me feel like an idiot, Mark. wink
            -Brett
              • 3,250 Posts
              It was in the documentation....
                • 361 Posts
                Are you sure? I’m not seeing that param in the 1.0.1 docs.
                Then again, me finding it in the first place didn’t work, so I could be wrong again.

Thanks Mark, both for your time in creating Ditto and in supporting the countless questions that come up about it. Very appreciated.
                  • 3,250 Posts
                  Your right! Somehow that line got deleted from my Ditto documentation.
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Quote from: Mark at Jun 14, 2006, 09:26 PM

That’s very cool Mark... basically this works as an offset parameter, I never used that but it could be pretty useful for blog sites !
                      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                      • 2,204 Posts
                      Quote from: davidm at Jun 15, 2006, 07:37 AM

Quote from: Mark at Jun 14, 2006, 09:26 PM

That’s very cool Mark... basically this works as an offset parameter, I never used that but it could be pretty useful for blog sites !

When you add this could you change the ditto 1.0 to 1.01 on all the pages instead of the frontpage there its ok.
                        follow me on twitter: @dimmy01