We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 31 Posts
    i need to set up a news and events system.
    i have a page for news, and another page events.

in my frontpage i want to show 2 latest news article. and 5 latest events.

the event bar in frontpage is just headline with url to the full link.

i have checked out ditto and easy events... but iam not sure. i dont need the calendar..just events with headline and full text...

news system i am checking out newsmanager... i need to publish news with image, short story, and link to full story

help please....
      • 1,390 Posts
      It would be really helpful if you can state and show what you have done - chunks, snippet calls etc...

• 31 Posts
        Quote from: kongondo at Feb 28, 2009, 08:52 PM

It would be really helpful if you can state and show what you have done - chunks, snippet calls etc...

actually i havent selected a news/events system yet... so i havent made any chunks, snippet yet....

first i need to find a news & events system (snippet/plugin) which can provide my need....

which news should i choose...? and which one to post events...?
          • 31 Posts
          is there any wiki/guide to how to create a news page..?

i followed this wiki http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Basic_Blog
          but i dont need any blog system.. and the news should be published by editors of the site(backend) and not from frontend...

• 1,611 Posts
              "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
              • 24,544 Posts
              To get you started, each item you want to display will be a separate MODx document.

Create a document called News and another one called Events. Check the box that makes them both containers.

To create each item, right-click on the News or Events folder in the tree at the left in the Manager and select "Create document here."

Once you have a few, use this call on the page where you want to display them:

[!Ditto? &parents=`n`]]

Where n is the document Id of the parent folder (shown in parentheses next to its name in the tree).

Once that’s working, you add more parameters to the Ditto call and edit or create tpl chunks, and mess with the CSS, to make things look the way you want.

Welcome to MODx. smiley
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 31 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Mar 01, 2009, 07:59 AM

To get you started, each item you want to display will be a separate MODx document.

Create a document called News and another one called Events. Check the box that makes them both containers.

To create each item, right-click on the News or Events folder in the tree at the left in the Manager and select "Create document here."

Once you have a few, use this call on the page where you want to display them:

[!Ditto? &parents=`n`]]

Where n is the document Id of the parent folder (shown in parentheses next to its name in the tree).

Once that’s working, you add more parameters to the Ditto call and edit or create tpl chunks, and mess with the CSS, to make things look the way you want.

Welcome to MODx. smiley

thanks.. i managed to set up a news page with some news items...

i have in my frontpage this call
                 [!Ditto? &parents=`17`&sortBy=`createdon`&summarize=`2`  &total=`2` &tplFirst=`first` &lastTpl=`last` &tpl=`others` &extenders=`summary` !]

my problem now is that the links are not working...

i have friendly urls on my page... and the ditoo links are still with id like mydomain.com/18

i also have <base href="[(site_url)]"></base> in my template.

what iam doing wrong here..?

my chunk : <a href="[+id+]" title="[+title+]" class="latest_news_a">

• 24,544 Posts
                  Quote from: the at Mar 01, 2009, 08:55 AM

i have friendly urls on my page... and the ditoo links are still with id like mydomain.com/18

You need to make a link out of the id by using a link tag: [~n~]:

<a href="[~[+id+]~]" title="[+title+]" class="latest_news_a"> 

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 31 Posts
                    Quote from: BobRay at Mar 01, 2009, 09:15 AM

Quote from: the at Mar 01, 2009, 08:55 AM

You need to make a link out of the id by using a link tag: [~n~]:

<a href="[~[+id+]~]" title="[+title+]" class="latest_news_a"> 

Thanks.. great.
                      • 31 Posts
                      maybe this is not the best way to do this but.. what i did is:

i have a conatiner news. and documents below it.
                      the documents are not shown in menu.

i made a template variable image, to put an image to each news item.

in the document content, i only have text.

then i made 2 chunks to view image and text in frontpage and news page.

but its show the full text...

so i tried to create a news_summary chunk..which is not working... and when i open each news item the image is not shown....

what is the best way to include image to an news item..?

and how can i make short summary & full text work..?