We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 51 Posts
    Hi all...
    I’ve only been working with MODx for a couple of days, and there are a LOT of things I like about it. However, I’m having a terrible time trying to get custom templates (xhtml+css) to work.

I don’t seem to have the css at the right directory level or something, and looking at the files in an ftp client, I can’t figure out where the document files are stored, where the css *should* be in relation to the template html, where images should be in relation to it, etc.

What is the directory structure of MODx? Where are template files stored? Can I ftp upload images? Where?

Help!! LOL

Thank you. This is a fascinating, flexible CMS...I feel incredibly dumb to be so lost.

Duane
      • 141 Posts
      Hi Duane,

there is a thread about this here.

If that doesn’t answer you query then come on back and we’ll have another go.
        • 3,975 Posts
        Use assets/templates/ directory to store your CSS and image files.

For example: You can store template’s CSS in assets/templates/mytemplate/mycss.css and images in assets/templates/mytemplate/images/. Now in css, refrence your images like this

backgorund: url(images/myimage.jpg);

Important Note: this relative path will work in external CSS file which resides in the template folder, if you need to put some CSS directly in your template, you need to insert full relative path to the image used. e.g. assets/templates/mytemplate/images/myimage.jpg

I hope it makes sense wink

regards,

zi
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
          • 51 Posts
          Quote from: zi at Jan 29, 2006, 05:18 PM

Use assets/templates/ directory to store your CSS and image files.

For example: You can store template’s CSS in assets/templates/mytemplate/mycss.css and images in assets/templates/mytemplate/images/. Now in css, refrence your images like this

backgorund: url(images/myimage.jpg);

Important Note: this relative path will work in external CSS file which resides in the template folder, if you need to put some CSS directly in your template, you need to insert full relative path to the image used. e.g. assets/templates/mytemplate/images/myimage.jpg

I hope it makes sense wink

regards,

zi

My thanks to both you and zenmaster!

That’s exactly what I needed. It makes sense, I just wasn’t catching on, I guess. lol. It happens (especially to me)..

Thanks again!
            • 3,975 Posts
            Anytime Duane ! smiley

Good luck with your new site, and dont forget to share it with us in Site Showcase.

regards,

zi
              Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link