We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 283 Posts
    just recieved some mail about this .. i take it this is NOT a problem in modx?

i know modx came originaly from eto code .. im sure its been totally worked over .. but i dont know much about this kinda stuf .. and im just checkin .. hope that doesnt offend anyone.

Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
      R.G Taylor
      • 1,198 Posts
      MODx is free from this vulnerabilities - see this thread:
      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,2467.0.html
        Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
        -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it
        -----------------------------------------------------

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design
        • 3,975 Posts
        Quote from: Lizard at Jan 29, 2006, 01:40 PM

just recieved some mail about this .. i take it this is NOT a problem in modx?

i know modx came originaly from eto code .. im sure its been totally worked over .. but i dont know much about this kinda stuf .. and im just checkin .. hope that doesnt offend anyone.

You can see that they stated clearly in their email,
        ...were not in the releases prior to January 11, 2006 as was previously suspected...

So, we were separated way back on "April 8, 2005".

I hope this clearifies any doubts.

BUT! if you are using current Etomite releases which are infected/or-not-infected, you should fix that problem as per their instructions before migrating to MODx. AFAIK it will save you from any possibly future problems.

Best regards,

zi
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • We stripped out all the "phone home" stuff prior to our first MODx release.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 2,204 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Jan 29, 2006, 04:35 PM

We stripped out all the "phone home" stuff prior to our first MODx release.

Was more like phone Alex indeed
              follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
              • 16 Posts
              Yes... Most of the hidden-catches and spyware have been removed from the Etomite code by the Modx team... And only minor markers are remaining but as I haven’t read the whole code, I can’t tell if they really got rid of all of the Etomite’s insanity.
              • ALL of the hidden-catches and spyware have been removed. If you have knowledge to the contrary, please share with us and we’d be glad to discuss, but I’m very familiar with the code here (as are several other team and forum members) and am not aware of any other "minor markers" remaining from the issues that have been identified in Etomite.
                  • 2,204 Posts
                  At Eto site the code wase changed and uplodaed to the server bij this exploit that means that the server is the security breatch not the (atleast not all) the code.

as site security was breeched and those download files were replaced with cij injection exploit infected versions...

Dimmy
                    follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
                    • 16 Posts
                    I agree that you removed the spyware and backdoor I know about in Etomite. And that’s a great thing.
                    But, just to give you an example of the bad thing in the code (so that anybody knows with cms you are using) is that the path to "manager" is hard-coded just about everywhere in the code (the good way would be define it in a constant).
                    Now if I want to know what you are running I know I just have to go to http://modxcms.com/manager/ on one hand this is not secure at all, one the other this is what I called a marker.
                    The same apply with "assets" (which is very particular to Etomite / Modx) and many other directories (like the snippets’ one that has nothing to do in publicly designed folder).
                    • toti,

You’ve got some very salient points... We’re really intrested in making this as rock solid as possible. Perhaps you could coordinate with netnoise (our security focused team member) to discuss some ideas of ways to make it better... Thanks so much for keeping a sharp eye out!

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me