We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    I have a site I am working on right now, it needs to be redesigned, and I wanted a better way to manage it.

The site is big, bigger and ugly than it seems, two separate user sections, just plain nightmare.

What I was looking for was a CMS that I could plug into my design, and not the other way around. I have not found this so I have resigned to either create my own CMS, I don’t have the time, or find the closest possible solution.

This company adds new pages constantly with the stupidest of requirements.

So, what I am looking at, right now, is needing a front page that is different from the rest of the site, I need static pages, dynamic pages, user page restrictions. I have a metric TON of forms that are on my site and I need to start working on viewing and editing this data but these viewers/editors need to be user restricted as well.

Anyway the more I dig the more this seems like its going to be what I want, but I wanted a experienced users opinion.
      • 3 Posts
      The worst part about all this is I feel I will be cheating by using a CMS. sad
      I am installing a copy of modx now to check out.
        • 3,975 Posts
        Checkout our Site Showcase, some sites are really big there. some of them are 2000+ pages!

As far I know, I am sure MODx is perfect to manage all your content.

@Cheating: I think you will not be cheating by using CMS, because CMS is here for solely the purpose of managing content in easy and "managed" way. smiley

Good Luck with your project!

... I forget every time tongue .. Welcome to the community laugh !

best regards,

zi
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
          • 3 Posts
          It really seems like this will be the one, I will be sure to throw it up in the site showcase when it is finished if I can sell the platform.
            • 61 Posts
            Using a CMS isn’t cheating...it’s just plain smart, especially when Modx has features such as template variables.
              • 1,495 Posts
              When you start deploying a large project, you will find out that you need a CMS system such as MODx to help you cut down your productivity time. The rest of the time you can use to make sure that you design a good design, as well as creating a lot of wonderfull extension for MODx that later can be use easily. I think your client will most likely to prefer it this way, instead of having you to build from scratch, which sometimes you need to sacrifice the reliability and security on the system, because of the time constraint that you have with the project.

So choosing CMS/CMF is the smart way to go to benefit both you and your client.

Regards,
                Wendy Novianto
                [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
                • 680 Posts
                Well I can tell you that just this last week I switched a 2000+ page site with about 100 contributors over to MODx and I’ve been thrilled with the results. It’s far better than the solution we were using previously. I also have a ton of forms and am working on moving most of them over to MODx (I’ve been using the FormProcessor snippet which I wrote and also need to upload some recent changes).

The site is www.bryan.edu if you want to give it a look (I’m no big fan of the template but I’m waiting on committee aproval to change it). If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

P.S. One more hint for large sites with customized areas: use the @INHERIT binding (which I also wrote. I’m biased laugh )
                  • 2,204 Posts
                  Quote from: aNoble at Jan 24, 2006, 10:10 PM

Well I can tell you that just this last week I switched a 2000+ page site with about 100 contributors over to MODx and I’ve been thrilled with the results. It’s far better than the solution we were using previously. I also have a ton of forms and am working on moving most of them over to MODx (I’ve been using the FormProcessor snippet which I wrote and also need to upload some recent changes).

acording to your sitemap you have atleast 1313 pages running thats a lot..(that does not include the memberpages and hidden pages.)

Nice work Adam
                    follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
                    • 835 Posts
                    Hi

Good and quick job.

But Adam, the website is very fast, is it on a dedicated server ?
                    I like your Editor section, with annoncements, FAQ and tips and a special weblogin. I’m curious to see what an editor see after login wink
                    Is it possible to see your "FormProcessor snippet" ?

The Modx community increases now but with such wesites, it will progress more quickly.

Thank’s

Aour
                      • 680 Posts
                      Quote from: aour at Jan 25, 2006, 08:35 AM

But Adam, the website is very fast, is it on a dedicated server ?

Yes, it is and we just upgraded it. I’ve been very happy with the speed so far and we aren’t even using any caching yet. Hopefully we’ll be able to start taking advantage of caching soon and then it should be really peppy.

Quote from: aour at Jan 25, 2006, 08:35 AM

Is it possible to see your "FormProcessor snippet" ?

Yes, it there should be a post floating around the forums somewhere and there is some info on my site here:
                      http://www.obledesign.com/form_processor.html
                      I’ve made quite a few improvements to the form processor so I’ll be updating it soon.