We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 353 Posts
    Hi Guys,
    I have image TV’s and want my client to upload images to a designated folder eg client_images - I see when my client who has Content Editor permissions goes to upload images he can basically upload them to any folder in the root he wants. I want him to be able to upload and edit/delete files in just this designated folder. How can I define the default upload folder and either lock or hide the rest?
    Thanks
    • Go to Security->Manage Users then right click and update the user you want to change. Under the settings tab, add a setting for "filemanager_path" and set the value to the folder you want them to start at (the path should be relative to your root web directory). If you want to set it for all users, there’s a system setting with the same name that you can change.
        www.darkstardesign.com

Are you in the Nashville area? Join us for our next MODX meetup!
        • 353 Posts
        Thanks for the help!

I did the above and filled out the create new setting as:

Key filemanager_path
        Name Is Filemanager_Path
        Field Type Textfield
        Namespace core
        Area Lexicon Entry
        Value images
        Description

..as I’d like the user to only be able to upload to the images folder in the root (public_html/images)

When uploading an image in Template Variables I noticed that existing images no longer showed the image thumbs within the TV section but they kept their filepath. Also I was able to upload images to the root as the user which I don’t really want. Only difference was the thumb wasn’t visible in the uploads section. I could just see an image placeholder representing the thumb.
        When I removed the new setting for the user things returned back to normal.

I must be doing something wrong with filling out the settings?

THANKS
          • 24,544 Posts
          There is also a FileUpload package that lets logged-in users upload from the front end. You can specify the upload directory in the tag.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 353 Posts
            Thanks very much I will look into that too.
              • 1,613 Posts
              When i place a folder into /assets/images and the user can only see /images, then indeed the image url is not correct on frontend when a user uploads an image and the image is not shown.

So u can’t use this method? Is this a ’bug’ or is it possible to do some settings and u be able to see all folders as admin and when upload an image into a TV it’s correct, ànd upload an image as an user with restricted folder access and it’s correct?

Front-end image upload is not really where i’m looking for.
                Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
                • 44 Posts
                Quote from: howster at May 13, 2011, 06:42 AM

When uploading an image in Template Variables I noticed that existing images no longer showed the image thumbs within the TV section but they kept their filepath. Also I was able to upload images to the root as the user which I don’t really want. Only difference was the thumb wasn’t visible in the uploads section. I could just see an image placeholder representing the thumb.
                When I removed the new setting for the user things returned back to normal.

I must be doing something wrong with filling out the settings?

make sure you set the filemanager_url to exactly the same too.. this works for me...
                  • 353 Posts
                  Hi,
                  I set filemanager_path and filemanager_url to the value images but after upload the image went into the abyss and i couldn’t see the image or the placeholder in the images folder i uploaded to. If there is an example of settings please post in case there is some naming convention i’m missing. I just want the user to be able to view and upload files to the folder "images" in the root. I just use filemanager_path & filemanger_url as the keys, associate it with the core and type in images as the value. Do I have to put any particular value in "Name" or fill out any other field in the Create New Settings section?
                  Any help appreciated.
                  As usual..Thanks Guys!

what should be going in here:
                  Key filemanager_path
                  Name Is Filemanager_Path
                  Field Type Textfield
                  Namespace core
                  Area Lexicon Entry
                  Value images
                  Description
                    • 118 Posts
                    Same problem here. I know this is basic access policies thing, but I don`t know how to do it for user.

Need a good step by step tutorial. (Like user policies at Bobguides.) Believe me, I have googled this a lot wink Or if somebody knows one, please put links here. Also is it possible to do this for usergroups?

Here`s my situation now: When user tries to add image to the content (using tinymce), all goes ok ( fileuploads etc.). But user can`t see any image in a browser or put it to content.

Logged in as admin I can found uploaded image in root of site.

Using Revo 2.1.3 [ed. note: valokammi last edited this post 12 years, 7 months ago.]
                      Tassu, webmaster of Valokammi
                    • filemanager_path: assets/images/
                      filemanaer_url: assets/images/

That's all that's really needed.
                        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.