We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 103 Posts
    Hi Folks!

I wonder if the SMF Module for Modx is still being worked on. I’m getting no answers to my questions concerning the module. sad
    To me this module is very important and I suppose its existence is a good argument to spread modx. But therefore it should be better supported...

Konsum

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,13627.msg89267.html#msg89267
    http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,6676.msg89461.html#msg89461
      Impossible is nothing - with ModX
    • No one has looked at the code in a long time on the core team, as the focus has been on 096 and 097. Wish I had better news for you. sad
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 103 Posts
        That’s a pity...

Now, what happens if I uninstall the SMF Integration module? I could image that the SSI features SMF offers are good enough for my needs.

But: Will my SMF still work? Will Modx still work?
        I think I read about the module, that it creates random passwords within SMF (at least for old users that get imported to Modx). Is that correct?

• 103 Posts
          Anyone who tried to uninstall the module? huh
            • 103 Posts
            Just in case someone has uninstalled the bridge in the meantime and can post his experience.
            I especially wonder if the users will be able to use their old passwords. As I understand, the bridge changes the passwords
            in the SMF-Database, doesn’t it?
              • 103 Posts
              I decided to uninstall the SMF Connector because its problems don’t get solved. I wonder how I can restore the old passwords. I think I have to copy them from the Modx DB back to the SMF DB. But I’ll have to convert them and I don’t know how. sad
                • 103 Posts
                Many people read this thread, really no one out there who could help me please? undecided
                  • 33 Posts
                  Your MODX passwords should still work, but I don’t know about the SMF passwords. You should just try it I guess.
                  I had a few problems with the bridge, especially with regard to password expire times. I.e. sometimes a user would expire in SMF while still being logged in to modx or vice versa. Apart from that it works OK for me.

If it doesn’t work out you could reset all SMF passwords to a default value and send out a mailing to your users asking them to change their new password. I guess that would be good enough if your site is not too serious, and if there are no financial or privacy risks for your users. But if there were, you would probably have tried the smf bridge offline using, for example, a XAMPP environment. ;-)

http://xampp.org/
                    • 103 Posts
                    Quote from: modxxx at Aug 21, 2007, 12:06 PM

Your MODX passwords should still work, but I don’t know about the SMF passwords. You should just try it I guess.
                    I had a few problems with the bridge, especially with regard to password expire times. I.e. sometimes a user would expire in SMF while still being logged in to modx or vice versa. Apart from that it works OK for me.

The problems you describe are exactly what I experience. Were you able to solve these issues?

If it doesn’t work out you could reset all SMF passwords to a default value and send out a mailing to your users asking them to change their new password. I guess that would be good enough if your site is not too serious, and if there are no financial or privacy risks for your users. But if there were, you would probably have tried the smf bridge offline using, for example, a XAMPP environment. ;-)

http://xampp.org/

I already work with xampp, but thanks for the idea! My site is not too serious, however I always try to make things as comfortable as possible to my users smiley
                      • 33 Posts
                      Quote from: Konsum at Aug 23, 2007, 01:08 PM

The problems you describe are exactly what I experience. Were you able to solve these issues?

No, users had to get used to it sad , I guess this will only be solved if SMF were to use the MODX sessions/cookies and not its own, but I’m not an expert on this. Apart from expiry issues *some* users reported having difficulty logging in, sometimes they only succeeded after trying a few times. This seems to have been a compression problem, when I disabled output compression in the SMF settings the problem was *less* reported.

Another thing that bugged me was the migration to the production server, I tried copying the complete file structure, changing all config files and do a search and replace on the db-dump before importing it. Got both modx and smf working, but not the bridge. Eventually had to do a clean install of modx, smf and bridge and copying/changing relevant files by trial and error. Next time I will try to sell the client dual logins - for security reasons grin