We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: Mitch at Dec 20, 2005, 08:48 PM

I like the idea of a native MODx forum, but from the text above I get the impression that each post will be a seperate page in the documenttree. Isn’t that going to be a bit much for the documenttree? I mean you will have a couple of hundred messages in a forum pretty fast. I wonder what this will do to the MODX performance.

I am concerned on this point as well. MODx documents are meant to represent pages, but many of these things are simply entries that are aggregated on a single page, and should probably not be represented in a site as a complete page. Performance of all aspects of MODx would degrade quickly with a community the size of the this one. We’d have 13,150 pages. I can’t imagine trying to manage that in our manager as pages.

The blog/comments works like this because most blog posts need to have unique URLs and the typical blog doesn’t have 13,000 entries (though some do and in those cases, our simple blog snippets aren’t going to cut it either).

IMO, MODx can be a great web integration platform for best-of-breed applications that already do what they need to do well (this will become more apparent as more developers create integrations between MODx and these apps), but it is not a be-all, do-all structure for constructing native web applications, yet -- I am working on that right now. lipsrsealed
    • I don’t intend this for a serious forum. That’s what an integrated forum module will be for. I’m just sort of idly playing with MODx features to see what simple low-level useful things I can come up with. Like my shopX; I certainly wouldn’t want to try to run Amazon on it!

Anyway, after learning and organizing a very simple small "forum" type system, it would be a step-by-step progression to enlarging and expanding it into a serious app with its own structure and tables and what-have-you. Likewise my plans for shopX. Or not, if somebody comes up with some good integration modules for existing apps.

Besides, it’s fun. Like making a go-cart out of Legos; I don’t intend to run it in the Indie 500! And I’m learning more and more about the inner workings of MODx and the basic snippets and stuff.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
      • Great analogy Susan. You’d need an erector set or at least Lego Mindstorms to compete in Indy, and everyone knows that! wink
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 138 Posts
          Being able to have an erector set a real forum integration into MODx is what is urgent.
            Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
            I Corinthians (ch. XV, v. 33)
            • 835 Posts
            Hi,

It will be a beautiful Christmas present like O.9.1 version. no ?

Aour
              • 616 Posts
              • Marco, great find ... thanks!

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 1,131 Posts
                  Great find indeed! Even if the class files are a little buggy, I’m sure we can fix it! Total sweetness! laugh
                    Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                    • 616 Posts
                    just saw Ralph’s post over at etomite and thought it might be helpful to somebody.