We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 113 Posts
    I would like to use these 2 snippets, but like to keep at least the user comments off of the backend page tree. The simplest solution would seem to be to put them in a new table and add buttons to edit and delete that would show up for authorized users. Any other suggestions?
    • Use the canpost configuration option and webuser groups. Comments need to use the show in menu option set to false, and a menu building snippet that supports the same.

Is that helpful?
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,250 Posts
        Quote from: jlarson at Sep 04, 2005, 12:34 PM

I would like to use these 2 snippets, but like to keep at least the user comments off of the backend page tree. The simplest solution would seem to be to put them in a new table and add buttons to edit and delete that would show up for authorized users. Any other suggestions?

All you would have to do is create a new folder called Comments in your Repository folder and then on each page you want to have comments append [!UserComments?folder=idofcommentsfolder!].
          • 113 Posts
          Ok, I’ve found my problem--I didn’t properly understand document and user groups in the manager. I had created a document group called "backend" for pages I didn’t want most users to see, but those pages still showed up for all users, behaving as public pages. However when I created a new user group and linked it to the "backend" document group, then those pages disappeared for manager users of other groups. In other words, even though I don’t necessarily need a user group specifically for those backend pages, I still had to assign them to an unused or dummy group in order for them not to show up. I’m not sure if this is by design or a slight bug. It does seem to add an unnecessary extra step.

Thanks guys for your help.